Liquid Tape on Wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trevalo

Registered
Reaction score
I recently bought a BARE Elastek 3mm wetsuit. I was very happy with it except the exterior liquid tape (Seamtek?) over the seams cracked and started peeling off after a couple of days of diving. This was my first experience with liquid tape and was wondering if anyone had similar problems. I thought liquid taping was usually found on better quality wetsuits, so I was quite surprised to find it literally coming apart at the seams.

The supplier was happy to exchange for a new one but could not guarantee that it won't happen again. So I got a refund and am still hunting for a new one. Problem is, the ones I've short-listed all incorporate this kind of liquid taping. Was I just unlucky with this particular suit that made it pass Quality Control? Or is this cracking and peeling typical and I'm supposed to patch/repair after every dive trip?

Any recommendations for a quality 3mm wetsuit without liquid taping would also be highly appreciated. Thank your for your attention.

In your current situation, I would recommend neoprene cement. I have patched many torn seems with it, you can Youtube how to apply it - pretty easy. You can buy a can for around $10 and it will last you a while.

neoprene cement.jpg

I don't know about anyone else but my next 3mm wetsuit is going to be a ScubaPro Everflex. The new ones look sweet!

Aloha!

^wow that is a big picture! oops!

Reminds me of Warhol type pop art. Hehe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Body Glove 3mm or Scubapro Everflex3/2mm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom