Liquid Image Digital Camera Masks have made it to Maui!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shaka Doug

Contributor
Reaction score
Kihei, Maui, Hawaii 96753, middle of the 808!
# of dives
Aloha, I just made a few dives with my new Liquid Image Digital Camera mask and I must say, it's a pretty cool gadget. I heard about them months ago and met the folks who make them at DEMA. I decided it was a novel idea and I wanted to give it a try so I bought some. They are very easy to use and take decent shots. The feature I like best is the video capability. Now I can even shoot video while shooting photos/video with my regular camera! How cool is that? (Watch the bubble ring video...)

I've shown them to some local spearfishermen and they're very intrigued by the idea of videoing their hunt. Something that has always been difficult with hand held cameras. Snorkelers can have a ball with this thing too. It takes little practice to figure out the aim but if you're off a little it's a big enough file, you can save many pictures with cropping and color correction tools.

They have a 5mp camera and you can add a micro SD card (1gb? 2gb? 4gb?) for extra memory (the built in memory is very small). In shallow water with good light and decent photography skills you can get some surprising results. I've used it topside for some photos and they're not bad either. Definitely some limitations with the lens and no flash but if you learn to work around that, you will be happy with your results.

Just a note about them. The ones I have are rated 15'. I took one down to 40' six times. The first five dives were no problem but I did flood it on the last dive. I knew I was pushing it but wanted to see for myself if they could handle most of my dives (which on average, are 40 feet or less). They have a newer upgraded version coming along in January that will go deep enough for most of us. It will be nice if they include sound in the next version too.

If anyone would like to see one in person, let me know. I'd be happy to show one to you. I'm making them available on many of my dives now too. They're surprisingly inexpensive. Here's some video I took with one of the camera masks before I flooded it. (By the way, the card was OK even though it got wet.) The shrimps were out at Ulua Beach and the bubble rings are at Five Caves. (not my best bubble rings BTW!)

Here's two clips I took with it that I put on YouTube:

Cleaner Shrimps at 40'

Bubble Rings from 35'

They have some big plans and nice improvements in the works for these masks. I'm excited to get my hands on the SCUBA ready version. These masks are only going to get better with time.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I have been looking at these lately. Looks like they have a newer version that is rated to 115'. Here is their homepage. I am fairly interested in these and would enjoy any feedback from people that have used them.

Thanks

Man, that video mask make you look like a Hammerhead.............

Here's a couple shots of me using the mask. This one has the optional LED lights attached. With a little practice you can get decent results. I can expect it to be a huge hit with spearfishermen.

5580_1185692475999_1038890729_576778_4149147_n.jpg

5580_1186339132165_1038890729_578143_7599032_n.jpg

You mention hammerhead...I actually think some of the turtles were checking me out to see if I had the fibropapilloma growing on my head!!! It's weird but a few of them have come up very close to have a better look.

Thats the exact one I have been looking at. Do you like it for the price? How is the video? and you you have any on youtube I could view? And, yes, spearfishing and general scuba is what I had it mind for.

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom