Liquid breath ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

G@Diver

Reaction score
I've been wondering if there is any progress in the research
about breathing Liquid while diving. how far are we from the
days we can all use it for diving ?
anyone have links to this subject ?

Dear G@Diver:

Liquid breathing

There are some nice references above from Padipro. It is my understanding that the main problem with liquid breathing is the inertia of the fluid. Air breathers take in air, stop the flow and then reverse its direction. This is fine since the air has low mass and inertia.

When you now attempt to do this with liquids, the situation is more difficult. Stopping and reversing direct is a very inefficient process and the work of breathing is considerable. Fluid breathers, such as fish, take in their breathing medium, pass it over gills and exit it, without the need to change direction, through the gill slits.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Doc Deco,

Would liquid breathing have the potential for alveolar ruptor, especially if the person were breathing forcefully?

:eek:

Dear G@diver:

Ruptured alveolus

I would doubt that you could rupture the lungs from a forceful exhalation. HOWEVER, this is assuming that the exhalation pressure was applied slowly enough that the pressure was equal everywhere. If not, yes, you could get a breakage as you go from a high-pressure region to a low-pressure one.

That is only a guess.

Dr Deco :doctor:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom