Lionfish...Okay this is funny

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I really hate to think how many injuries they're going to get if people pay any attention to that. Plus its a completely useless method of population control.

I would say this is a bad idea. I am sure there is a safe way to catch every animal, but to just tell people to hunt Lionfish?? Also as String said I do not think this will help with population control in any way.

I'll let somebody else catch them. "Avoid puncture wounds" is good advice. And the best way to avoid puncture wounds is to stay far away from the fish. Well, close enough to look at it, but nowhere near close enough to touch!

My system is to touch nothing but the water when I dive. Partly that's so I do no damage to the environment. Partly it's so the environment does no damage to me. :wink:

I am sure there is a safe way to catch every animal, but to just tell people to hunt Lionfish?? Also as String said I do not think this will help with population control in any way.

I agree. Join my petition: www.NukeTheLionfish.com

Why would you want to kill something this cute:

The only real issue ive seen divers have with lionfish are on night dives where the things tend to hunt in packs underneath you using your torch beam to see food. If a diver sinks too close to the bottom there its not impossible for the fish to become crushed between them and the bottom and get a sting as a result.

I know they're a foreign species in the Atlantic but really cant see a way of eradicating them. Simply catching some of the adults isn't going to do it. Something far more drastic is needed to stop the breeding populations over a large area. The ocean is too big for a relatively tiny amount of people to remove large numbers of a specific fish.

i don't see what exactly the threat lion fish impose to control its breeding?? why not the same for stone fish & scorpion fish??

The ocean is too big for a relatively tiny amount of people to remove large numbers of a specific fish.
we need to certify more divers:D

i don't see what exactly the threat lion fish impose to control its breeding?? why not the same for stone fish & scorpion fish??

Far more aggressive, prolific and active hunters than those. These things cruise around all the time looking for food and are MUCH faster and better at grabbing it.

I personally like lionfish. They are colorful and add exotic feeling to some dives. And with global devastation to the environment they do not strike me as among 10 (or 100) top problems. And if somebody wants to eat lionfish it is OK with me. And if occasionally one strike back it also sounds fare. If human were always on top of food chain life would be boring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom