Lionfish Invades Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saw some in diving off Freeport, GBI this past summer.

The really sad thing is it was all so unnecessary, so preventable - the story is some folks who had aquariums let them go - and w/ no natural enemies (I hope the grouper eating them is true), they spread.

and w/ no natural enemies (I hope the grouper eating them is true), they spread.

SpringerLink - Journal Article

The natural predator of the Lion fish is the grouper:

Taken from:
Bahama Pundit: Invasion of the Lionfish Threatens Bahamian Fisheries
Lionfish can eat other fish up to two-thirds their own length, while they are protected from predators by long, poisonous spines. In the Pacific, other fish have learned to avoid them and they also have more natural predators, particularly large groupers. But Atlantic fish have never seen them before, and few local predators will eat them.

A scubaboard diver reported one at Blue Heron Bridge a couple of weeks ago.

That’s good information LowVizWiz I did not know that.

Please fill me in. How can diving in Freeport EVER be depressing?

Knowing what it was like 3 years ago and what it is like now.

I am always grateful to be in the water but, when you see such a drastic change in marine life, it is sad. It is very depressing to see a ton of lionfish and know they are the reason for this change.

tiggrr--

Have you noticed other marine life disappearing because of the lionfish? I've heard they do eat other critters.

Knowing what it was like 3 years ago and what it is like now.

I am always grateful to be in the water but, when you see such a drastic change in marine life, it is sad. It is very depressing to see a ton of lionfish and know they are the reason for this change.

tiggrr--

Have you noticed other marine life disappearing because of the lionfish? I've heard they do eat other critters.

What critters do you mean exactly??

I noticed a lack of red banded shrimp and the little blue cleaner shrimp.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom