Lionfish in Playa del Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Geofish Dive in Playa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
The last two days we have seen 3 Lionfish. The first was at Pared Verde and the other two were at Chunzumbul and Cueva Pargo. The Lionfish is native to the tropical Indo-Pacific area and is starting to be spotted in the Caribbean more and more. They tend to kill the smaller fish of these areas in large numbers. They are devastating to this area because the more they are seen the more of the smaller fish that are so vital to this ecosystem are being eaten. In the Bahamas and other Caribbean areas the Lionfish are being spotted regularly. They want all fisherman and divers to report or kill any Lionfish they see before the damage is irreversible. Here is a picture of the Red Lionfish we saw today at Chunzumbul and the link to a relating article.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/08/18/red-lionfish-invade-carib_n_119521.html

Attachments

• Lionfish At PDC.jpg
    Lionfish At PDC.jpg
    346.2 KB · Views: 181
finally - i was wondering how much longer the mayan riviera would be spared. are the dive shops doing anything e.g. have dive masters take pole spears on dives to dispatch the invaders? it's probably futile although it may help at sites that see a lot of dive traffic and, thus, armed dive leaders.

Like in Cozumel, a lot of instructors are taking down plastic bags to bring the lionfish back up. Spearfishing while on scuba is forbidden. The authorities both in Playa and in Cozumel have set up a drop-off system so they can track the captured lionfish. I've heard of some people setting up salt-water aquariums just for these little buggers. They are popping up on almost all our divesites.

There are several threads about these in the Cozumel forum. Seem to be more and more common sitings. : (

I don't imagine these fish are migrating....

What's the deal? Are people introducing them to Carribean waters from salt water tanks?

They are migrating through the Caribbean right now from the Bahamas and now to here. It started with people dumping them in the waters from tanks. It's going to get worse and worse unless this area including Coz starts doing something about it. On every dive I am going to start bringing gloves and a plastic bag. That is how it has to start. The divers who are down there and actually able to see them need to do what they can. We will keep you posted.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom