Lionfish in Florida!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reel Crazy14

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
the past 2 years or so I have seen a lot of lionfish offshore of Jacksonville. So far I have not seen any official reports on their population but I have seen about 4 or 5 personally and have talked to people who have even seen 12 under one ledge here. Heres the questions: Does anybody know how they got here all the way from the pacific? Are they harmful to the ecosystem?
I tried to bring one up from 80 feet for my aquarium but he croaked a day later. And make sure to be careful now when lobstering, theres a good chance one can be hiding under the same ledge as a lobster because they can put you in some pain. Whats the story with these critters?

They've been released from aquariums by people who think one ocean is the same as another. They are also off the Palm Beach area and off North Carolina.

Yes, I have heard of lionfish being sighted all the way up the coast to Savannah. One diver speared one a few months ago offshore St Augustine in order to prove its existence. There are several theories about how they appeared in our waters. One theory is that when Hurricane Andrew blew through South Florida a decade ago, along with destroying homes, it also destroyed peoples personal salt water aquariums and allowed their fish collections access first to brackish canals that crisscross the area and second to the ocean where they followed the Gulf Stream. The lionfish seem to be the only ones to have survived the journey and now there is a breeding population. Probably the best explanation for their presence is the same reason there are fish called "oscars" in South Florida freshwater canals. Most fish will keep growing as long as you keep feeding them. The lionfish we have offshore are "rejects", or fish that got too big for their owners to keep feeding them. Instead of flushing the fish down the toilet, they probably felt it was more humane to let it go in the ocean. Not a good idea to let non-native species loose, but I guess that's why South Florida has such an interesting array of animals down there, and I'm not talking about the two-legged kind.

BTW, I noticed you mentioned diving offshore Jax. What boat do you use or do you have your own?

dvrgaryc:
Yes, I have heard of lionfish being sighted all the way up the coast to Savannah. One diver speared one a few months ago offshore St Augustine in order to prove its existence. There are several theories about how they appeared in our waters. One theory is that when Hurricane Andrew blew through South Florida a decade ago, along with destroying homes, it also destroyed peoples personal salt water aquariums and allowed their fish collections access first to brackish canals that crisscross the area and second to the ocean where they followed the Gulf Stream. The lionfish seem to be the only ones to have survived the journey and now there is a breeding population. Probably the best explanation for their presence is the same reason there are fish called "oscars" in South Florida freshwater canals. Most fish will keep growing as long as you keep feeding them. The lionfish we have offshore are "rejects", or fish that got too big for their owners to keep feeding them. Instead of flushing the fish down the toilet, they probably felt it was more humane to let it go in the ocean. Not a good idea to let non-native species loose, but I guess that's why South Florida has such an interesting array of animals down there, and I'm not talking about the two-legged kind.

BTW, I noticed you mentioned diving offshore Jax. What boat do you use or do you have your own?

2 years ago one was spotted on an offshore wreck suring the summer of long island ny.. this year one diver saw a juvenile on a beach jetty dive off rockaway beach (queens) ny

anybody know if they'll be to Florida what the cane toads are to Australia?

A good friend of mine is doing research on Atlantic Lion Fish for his PHD...I have a flyer for his study on my website but since it's commercial I'll get dinged for posting it here. Anyway, you can E-mail Oliver at: ovanden@fit.edu
describing any sitings you may have...Please help him with this research

Walter:
What are cane toads to Australia?

Cane toads were introduced to australian farms as a natural pesticide. but it got out of control and they ended up over populating and eating allot of other things that are essential to their ecosystem. pretty much a prime example to the very bad effects that can result from introducing a non-native species.

I wonder if these lionfish will have an effect here especially since they are carnivorous, hopefully they don't develop a taste for any of Florida's endangered species.

When exotics like lionfish show up in marine sanctuaries, the managers break out their kung fu to eradicate them. There is no quarter given, 'cept maybe in the case of transplantation to willing aquariums. Don't forget the recent case of the exotic batfishes in the Florida Keys a few years back. The sanctuary folks moved heaven and earth to track them all down. And don't you even think about spreading rumours about sea snakes in the Caribbean... it's like joking about explosives at the airport.

Cases of introduced exotics are nothing new. Arizona or New Mexico (I foget which) has more exotic fishes than endemic ones, and in southern Florida the problem's so bad, it's difficult to determine what's supposed to occur there NATURALLY. Botanists are the real experts on exotics, as non-endemic plants outweigh animals several times over.

If a diver positively identifies an exotic species, please KILL OR CAPTURE IT. At the very least mark it's exact location and report it to the local parks and wildlife agency. Leaving it alone is no better than kicking up coral or otherwise trashing the natural habitat. In essence you are allowing a potentially damaging influence to exist, one that can BREED.

At the local level, I help clean out a critically protected springs habitat of exotic plants and snails. As an ecologist, I report marine exotics immediately as I see them. I get my pals with spearguns or collecting bags to take them out.

Many local, state, and federal laws allow the public to kill or otherwise remove exotic species, even in protected areas. The Migratory Birds Act for instance does not apply to european rock pigeons (the "city" pigeon) and english sparrows, and you may exterminate them at will. Chinese tallow and kudzoe (is that spelled right?) are plants that botanists and wildlife managers will LOVE YOU for eradicating. And don't forget those pesky fire ants, and nutria.

Please, if you see what is most definitely a lionfish in Atlantic waters, stick it in a bag and get it OUT of the local environment. You can sell it to an aquarium store for some major bucks. Watch out for the spines.

I have already killed one and will start killing every one i see. Unfortunatly I dont see how we can stop them now since they have already spread up the east coast. But we might as well try! I say we have a lionfish spearing tournament!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom