Lionfish in BVI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They can move plenty fast. But they don't bother. They're not afraid of anything. You could certainly kill one with anything sharp, if it's long enough to keep your hands out of the fins.

This is some video from our recent Cancun trip. One of the clips shows a lionfish hearding fingerlings into the reef and then *blip* it darts forward and inhales one.

I did some research, got some suggestions from the spear hunters here, and ended up buying a foldspear (foldspear.com) to kill them with. It collapses and fits into a sheathe on your thigh, deploys easily, and has plenty of penetration. Accuracy is not an issue, given that you can put the point 3 inches from a lionfish.

I did some research, got some suggestions from the spear hunters here, and ended up buying a foldspear (foldspear.com) to kill them with. It collapses and fits into a sheathe on your thigh, deploys easily, and has plenty of penetration. Accuracy is not an issue, given that you can put the point 3 inches from a lionfish.

That is a good suggestion. That might be something we could suggest to the Govt. It sounds like it wouldn't be much use to hunt anything that swims in the BVI other than Lionfish.

Oh bugger:

Second Lionfish Nabbed in BVI Waters in Less Than a Week

For those who don't know the Territory, those two islands are at opposite sides of the BVI.

Sadly, recent history shows quite clearly that you're unlikely to get rid of them. The only real hope seems to be slowing or containing their expansion. And unless a "kill or sight" policy is in place, and supported by divers, even that seems extremely unlikely.

Rhone Man - I think your best defense is to capture and destroy them. We spear them on St. Thomas. My captain, Fishbutt, is the coordinator for St. Thomas and has been working dilegently on organizing hunts, educating and training all of our dive shops. I could help you if you'd like.

This morning my boat is out there to look for a few that's been spotted on our dive sites. On board we have markers, spear guns, fish nets, SLURP GUNS, and a cooler of hot water (used in case of a sting). Fish nets and slurp guns would work for you. I'd also suggest armor type gloves because these guys are wicked!

They are coming fast ready or not! The bahamas are proof of how quickly they can destroy reef fish. We are attacking them in full force in hopes of keeping their population under control.

The ones we do kill are being DNA tested and studied.

I wish your islands luck!!

Laura

SO the problem is they will eat to many of the local fish, and hurt populations of other fish that are supposed to be there?

Someone said the groupers will east them, so that's one thing, what about the cudas, eels, and other larger meat eaters in the area?

Still seems unlikely spearing them will help, if the other islands aren't doing it as well. On top of that there's lots of areas not frequently dived as much that would allow breeding to keep occurring. I guess Lionfish are one more thing to watch out for now...

I just returned from two weeks in Utila. The dive operators were supplied with registered small pole spears with trident tips. Dive masters engaged in friendly competition bagging lionfish. A few went to morays and grouper but the bulk ended up as excellent ceviche. I saw one dive master go from first reluctant kill to proudly bagging four in a dive. Other boats claimed eight on one dive with one pole spear. Perhaps as they get proficient it will help keep the lionfish in check.

Back
Top Bottom