Lionfish in Biscayne National Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey All!

I am part of the lionfish management team working in Biscayne Naitonal Park. We are reaching out to local Divers and fishermen in the area to see if anyone has/are willing to share coordiantes on where they have seen lionfish in/near the park boundaries. I am only looking for lionfish on these sites, and would not post the coordinates publicly, or use them personally (I don't even have access to a boat outside of work). You can send the location through a private message, even if it is just a vauge location, anything helps.

Lionfish are quickly spreading throughout the area, and by killing and removing them from our reefs we are hoping to help prevent them from eating our local fish species, such as juveline grouper, hogfish and all the other fishes that these species eat. Lionfish have no natural predators in the Atlantic and Carribean, beucase of this they can grow to extremly high densities, with one adult fish clearing a small patch reef of small native fish in just two weeks, leaving nothing for the commerical fishes to eat.

If you see any while you are diving, and feel comfortable, please remove them or make note of the coordiantes and report the sighting. (but remeber that thier spines are venemous) If you feel more comfortable, another way to report the sightings is the website IveGot1.org.

Thanks for all your help!
Happy diving.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom