Lionfish/help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeremy and family are eating the bigger of them. Smaller ones are killed underwater and fed to other marine life. It's interesting to watch how wary the fish are of them.

Dove with Blue Angel a few weeks ago and Jorge the DM caught and killed a few. One one of the reefs (Santa Rosa or VillaBlanca?) he fed the Lionfish to a snapper who summarily followed him around like a puppy dog for the remainder of the dive. He said that every time he goes to that reef he feeds the fish and it always follows him...funny huh?

Is he cutting the spines off before feeding it to the snapper?

I was thinking about bringing some small lobster catch bags down to Cozumel for capture to maybe give to DMs if they wanted. Not sure if this would work well or not. I can usually get flounder to swim right into the bag. If they held it away from the body it wouldnt be any more or less dangerous than using a plastic bag.

From NOAA website:
Unfortunately, NOAA researchers have concluded that invasive lionfish populations will continue to grow and cannot be eliminated using conventional methods. Marine invaders are nearly impossible to eradicate once established.

How lionfish will affect native fish populations and commercial fishing industries has yet to be determined. What is known is that non-native species can dramatically affect native ecosystems and local fishing economies. Experts are carefully studying these invaders to better understand the role their role in, and potential threat to, Atlantic Ocean ecosystems.

I am one who thinks you need to get over yourselves and let it be. Its going to happen. There is 0 you can do to stop it. The fish is already in Playa, on the other side of Cozumel, in Cuba and all over. Lionfish Distribution That alone should show that nothing you can do will have any effect. Let it be and let nature do its thing. It may not equalize in your lifetime, but this isnt about YOU.

From NOAA website:

I am one who thinks you need to get over yourselves and let it be. Its going to happen. There is 0 you can do to stop it. The fish is already in Playa, on the other side of Cozumel, in Cuba and all over. Lionfish Distribution That alone should show that nothing you can do will have any effect. Let it be and let nature do its thing. It may not equalize in your lifetime, but this isnt about YOU.

Thank you so much for that helpful info.

If we can wipe out the Dodo and almost wipe out the american buffalo and white tail deer I am damn sure me can kill off some annoying little fish :wink:
Personally I ain't the type to give up. I will fight the little buggers to the end.
If anyone else wants to roll over and surrender go right ahead. I wont.

From NOAA website:

We need more people in the world like you. Well done for bringing us all to our senses.

Silly us.

We need more people in the world like you. Well done for bringing us all to our senses.

Silly us.

Pay them no attention......they have been taken over by the LIONFISH and are no longer capable of understanding logic.

Back
Top Bottom