Lionfish Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So how'd it go? Did you like the gloves and just how many lobsters did you bag?

I have a couple of dings in my fingers, but I'm not sure when I got them. I saw 2 divers on my last dive with the exact same gloves, but instead of a hammerhead, they had a rhino on them. So there might be 2 brands of this style of glove. They were very comfortable.

I thought the palm area was coated in a rubber, but this is not the case. This is good since it makes it easier to handle things and you have a better sense of touch. I wore my blue rubber palmed gloves at home and it was a noticeable difference. I don't recall any pain in handling the spiny lobsters. I could sense they were sharp through the glove, but there wasn't any pain associated with grabbing them.

I didn't do great. I brought home 4 out of 8 dives. 1 of the 4 was given to me on a trip where I didn't catch any. 2 of the dive ops dropped us off in horrible spots.

Capt Sl8r's dives were unbelievable even though I only caught 1 on his boat. The topology had holes and ledges. Sharks, turtles, and moray eels were seen throughout the dive. Lots of lobster, mostly shorts though. A few that defied me catching them! I had fun though, it was 2 active hunting dives. Take out the lobster hunting and they were still amazing dives. Both dives depths were in the upper 60's to lower 80's in depth.

I caught 2 on Sea Pup. We went to the trenches north of the breakers. Quite a few divers brought up lobster. I paired up with an insta-buddy. He was a train wreck and I spent time babysitting him so he wouldn't kill himself. On the 2nd dive, the DM swam to him, grabbed him, and told him it was time to go up. He was that bad. On the first dive, she wanted him to go up with her. I still had 1800 lbs of air and he was around 800. She signaled him at least 3 times to go with her and he just kept doing whatever. I finally signaled to her that I'd go up and I got his attention. Even then, the current took her and I couldn't get him to keep up. I ended up having to shoot my SMB. He then surfaced right past doing a safety stop, but kept looking down at me. I kept signalling him to get back down and he finally did. A minute later, a boat ran over my SMB! The capt said he was running constant interference on this boat and it ran over my sausage while picking up divers. They were pretty pissed and had been trying to radio the boat to no avail. The kicker, the damn boat had a scuba flag mounted.

I'll never dive Little Deeper again, they dropped us off in 90-100 ft. The topology on their dive was pathetic. Very little rock or ledge, mostly sand. On dive 1, I couldn't even get to the bottom since I would have exceeded my MOD. I told the captain before the dive and he asked why I would bring that mix on a deep dive, like I knew we'd go that deep and he said for me to watch my PPO. Really? So I took video of David Sanchez, Mr Blue Heron Bridge Photography, and he only found 1 lobster. Lucky for him it was a keeper and an easy catch. Also, if you rented a tank from them, they had no nitrox analyzer on board and were telling divers to trust them on the mix. They would only say, "if you got the tank from us, it's 34%". And then they dropped us off to hunt lobster in 100 ft. Ridiculous. I had my own tanks, but had a 36.5% mix, used 37% to determine my mod of 91 ft. The 2nd dive was shallower and I don't recall seeing any lobster, but there could have been a few shorts. Worst charter of the four. It was also packed and the tanks sit lower than the seats, making it a little harder to get in and out of my BCD.

The other boat was Wet Temptations. I didn't care for the drop spots on this boat either, but it wasn't nearly as bad as Little Deeper. This is also the boat which give me a lobster, which was nice. I believe they had hunters on board which were not keeping, which is a nice gesture for those that come up empty. We were dropped in 90 to 100 ft on the first dive and like 80 on the 2nd. My mod was 95, so I was cradling the edge, which I didn't care for. I came across one lobster of size and there was no way to catch it. Again, all sand with some rocks here and there, mostly when it got deeper than my mod and I couldn't descend. One of the divers which works for the shop which operates Wet Temptations caught a 5 ft Amber Jack. I saw him on his scooter with his spear line running under a ledge. He was screaming for one of the other divers to give him their spear gun. It was a sight to see! The jack started swimming away and he got the 2nd gun by a finger tip hand off. I wish I had my GoPro for that one. He got it on the boat. 75 lbs gutted.

Wow, Chris. I really hate to hear that. Just more evidence that I don't need to be anywhere near WPB during mini season!

That surprises me about Little Deeper. No analyzer on board is surprising. Even diving in the Caribbean there has always been an analyzer available. Sometimes I would have to ask and they would have to hunt for it. And Little Deeper is at BHB now aren't they?

As for hunting, lobster or fish, it's hit or miss in the best of circumstances. Boat trips specifically for lobsters can definitely be a miss. The Captain does his best to sit you on lobsters but they are not always there. Some of my worst trips have been lobsters trips. I'm not a fan of dives that involve swimming from blowout to blowout hoping for lobsters. Since my dive opportunities are limited, I prefer taking my chances on a reef so that I get some of both, reef and lobsters. As for deep, as the lobsters get scarce the boats tend to go deeper and to less travelled sites.

Sounds like your instabuddy was very lucky to have you looking out for him. Kudos to you. I know you plan to take solo. You may want to do that before next years mini season! Andd that boat over running your SMB is just another example why I avoid mini season.

I wonder if your experience is typical.

I saw the most lobster on the shallower dives, so I'm not sure why you need to go deeper on day 1 of mini season. The dives on Sl8r had next to no swimming over sand and I saw the most lobster by far (including all the other sea life). All 8 dives were in less traveled areas, none of them were on wrecks or Juno Ledge. It wasn't any worse out there than any other day I've been out. Memorial day was way worse, which also included a boat running over a SMB of one of the divers. I've only recently opened myself to insta-buddies. I probably saved the guys life, had he not come back down for a safety stop, he might of been hit by that boat or not surfaced in time with an adequate air supply.

Yes, Little Deeper is the boat at BHB.

I saw the most lobster on the shallower dives, so I'm not sure why you need to go deeper on day 1 of mini season.
I thought that odd too. My experiences have all been later in the season. My impression of mini season was that the lobsters at that time were plentiful and easy to find. At least that's how some people present it in their posts/blogs! :D

It wasn't any worse out there than any other day I've been out. Memorial day was way worse, which also included a boat running over a SMB of one of the divers.
That's why Eric and I also avoid trips during holidays. But unfortunately next trip will include Labor Day weekend. Not looking forward to that part of the trip.

Do you hunt during the regular season as well?

Back to the gloves. It sounds like they were adequate for lobster but do you think they will hold up to Lionfish?

That's why Eric and I also avoid trips during holidays. But unfortunately next trip will include Labor Day weekend. Not looking forward to that part of the trip.

Do you hunt during the regular season as well?

Back to the gloves. It sounds like they were adequate for lobster but do you think they will hold up to Lionfish?

It's not all THAT bad on the holidays. Once you're underwater it's like you're the only which exists anyways. :)

I'll hunt more this year than last.

They were fine for lobsters. I'm not sure how to test for lionfish though. Any ideas which don't include me getting stung? hehe

They were fine for lobsters. I'm not sure how to test for lionfish though. Any ideas which don't include me getting stung? hehe

Ah, come on Chris. Take one for the team. :D It's all in the name of science.

Great write up!

Randy, sweet looking unit. I like the pole spear holder. I need to install one of those on mine. How is the pvc end attached? How easy/difficult is it to put the spear in? What are the chances the spear could come out? I'm also trying to figure out what black surgical hose is for?

Thanks Chris. I used plumbing parts from the local HD and a funnel to make it. The end is a screwed on sewer cap that I drilled with 1/4" holes into drain water. It unscrews to release the catch into the ice chest. The spear is easy peazy to use and stow. I have used it a few times off a boat in NC and it worked great. Surgical tubing is the band for the lil pole spear, I put a bolt snap on it and use it along with the surgical tubing to lockdown the spear onto the ZK while diving.

Thanks Chris. I used plumbing parts from the local HD and a funnel to make it. The end is a screwed on sewer cap that I drilled with 1/4" holes into drain water. It unscrews to release the catch into the ice chest. The spear is easy peazy to use and stow. I have used it a few times off a boat in NC and it worked great. Surgical tubing is the band for the lil pole spear, I put a bolt snap on it and use it along with the surgical tubing to lockdown the spear onto the ZK while diving.

Got it! I purchased a ZK and a longer spear. I want to mount my shorter spear on the zk so I can use it to kill the LF if it's wiggling on the end of my longer spear. I don't want another hit from a flinching LF. I'd rather take the 10 seconds to finish it off, then bag it. Now to build up the nerve to modify my ZK :). Thanks for the tips.

Good on ya! I understand, I took a hit 2 yrs ago from a dead, clipped fish I was skinning. I didn't clip the dorsal off deep enough, the boat heaved, I hoed and grabbed the sliding fish and PLOWY, it nailed me in the thumb. Burnt like hell for a while.

Now I use a paralyzer tip so they can't move around, I control the angle of approach to the tube hanging on my side and stuff them in the tube. No fuss, no mess, no touchy! Open the bottom and dump them on ice.:D

Back
Top Bottom