Linking with a Buddies SDA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BB1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

Can someone explain where I'm going wrong here (yes I did read the manual! :wink: )

We have 2 UEMIS SDA's, 1 each for me and the wife! I've used mine about 10 times so far and am very happy with it.

She used her's for the first time last weekend - again very happy - easy to read, good layout of info etc. As they say - happy wife = happy life!

However the one thing we couldn't get the 2 SDA's to do was acknowledge each others existance???? We were very close to each other the whole time (touching distance), either swimming next to each other or facing each other doing safety OOA drills.

What have I missed?? Do I have to link to her sender as well as my own?? Manual seems to say that they will automatically find other SDA's within 2.5 metres range.

Advice appreciatted as the ability to monitor each other was part of the decision process for us when buying dive computers.

hmm... so you slide the button to the little buddy icon and when swimming close, neither of you are able to see your buddy's name show up on the "buddy" screen where you would then select your buddy? you mention reading the manual so that is probably not the issue. Are there any other UEMIS computers in your area that you could dive with to see if any of them can see each other?

You do not have to link to her sender.

I have not had issues with buddy viewing and have had a whole slew in the water at a time. we will be shooting a little walk through video in the next week or so, maybe that will be helpful...

Hopefully michael will chime in :)

Hi,

Yeah the manual has very little in it about the buddy linking but I figured that was because it was a no-brainer?!?!

I admit I only checked once as we were doing safety drills etc but she should show up in my buddy list with a computerid as well now shouldn't she??

No other UEMIS's, I think there are about 3 or 4 total in Australia and we have 2 of those! (Not certain on numbers though)

I'll check a bit more carefully this weekend, I am presuming that the link is SDA to SDA direct?

I set our gear up on 2 tanks at home afterwards but I don't think you can get them to talk to each other unless they are in dive mode........

Will let you know what happens after the weekend!

Hi Michael,

Both were up to date with Ver 1.1

I just put the new version 1.11 firmware on mine and will update hers tonight as well.

Will let you know how it goes!

Here's the update,

This time we have success! :)

I'm not sure if the new V1.11 firmware update being put onto both SDA's fixed the problem or not but my guess is yes. "- occasionally, there were errors during the transmission of buddy data under water and when buddy data was synchonized."

Last time I couldn't see my buddy in the list at all but this time she's there.

Things I noticed while using the buddy check function:

Patience is needed, I could see the name straight away but I had to wait a fair few seconds (it seemed like) for the circle next to the name to "fill in" so that I could select it and read the data/see her details.

It seemed really slow to get back to my screen?? I was using gloves which I don't normally do (it's getting cold!) but even still I know to puch the OK/EXIT button to the right and hold for a few seconds and it still seemed to take a while. I am not unhappy with this - will just try again next time and see if it was just me.

Overall still very happy with my decision to purchase the UEMIS and they ALWAYS attract lots of attention so I seem to spend lots of time explaining what they are, who makes them, their backround and what it can do.

Must be eligable for a free tank transmitter soon :wink: after so much marketing!!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom