Lingcod spawning season - spread the word!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where you part of the UBC dive? If so, then I think you were the person who told us that they were lingcod eggs. My buddy and I thought they were styrofoam or some sort of trash. Good thing we didn't pick it up. We did pick up a large (10x10 ft at least) plastic sheet floating on our surface swim back though.

Yup that was me. Again, nice chatting with you guys (Ben and Nick?). Just FYI it wasn't you guys that inspired me to post the above info. It was the guy in my group nearly crushing the eggs.

I saw one of you hauling in that big piece of plastic when I was heading out for my dive. Good on you for the trash collection. But just like that big sheet of plastic, styrofoam and most other plastics float, so you probably wouldn't see styrofoam on the bottom (I wasn't positive they were eggs at first either. I'm use to bright pink salmon eggs. The lesson I'm taking away from this is if you don't know what something is - don't mess with it!)

Saw several nests at Porteau Cove yesterday. Also saw a Buffalo Scuplin guarding his nest of purple eggs on one of the wrecks. That was fun. Unfortunately I'm too new to diving (and new to drysuit) to concentrate on noting data/location/etc without uncontrollably rocketing to the surface. lol.

Thanks to original post, though, to point me in the direction of looking for these!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom