Lingcod spawning season - spread the word!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattcass

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
It's lingcod spawning season folks! Tell your friends! On both a dive last weekend at Kelvin Grove and a dive yesterday at Porteau Cove I have encountered a lingcod guarding an egg mass.

At Porteau Cove, I was with a group of people and none of them knew it was lingcod spawning season. Subsequently, when we encountered a lingcod guarding a rather obvious egg mass, one of the members of the group didn't know it was an egg mass and nearly came to a rest on the egg mass - almost crushing it. Gah! I talked with some other people on shore and there was a similar level of awareness.

This is what an egg mass looks like:

ling_nest.jpg

It will likely be guarded by a lingcod. So if you encounter an overly 'friendly' lingcod, it's not trying to be your friend, it's telling you to get lost!

For more information check out the DFO site:

DFO Pacific Region | Science and Research | Aquatic Species | Groundfish Programs | Lingcod

You can even volunteer your time and help with an egg mass survey via the Vancouver Aquarium:

Lingcod Egg Mass Survey | vanaqua.org

(there is a rockfish survey too! But not occurring right now Rockfish Abundance Survey | vanaqua.org)

Happy diving!

Where you part of the UBC dive? If so, then I think you were the person who told us that they were lingcod eggs. My buddy and I thought they were styrofoam or some sort of trash. Good thing we didn't pick it up. We did pick up a large (10x10 ft at least) plastic sheet floating on our surface swim back though.

For anyone who hasn't seen ling cod eggs they do look like big chunks of styrofoam from a whitish color when fresh changing to yellowish or grey when dying off after hatching from what I remember. It is also only the males who guard the eggs from what I've been told. They can be quite aggresive but not as aggresive as a cabezon guarding eggs. They are fortunately not as common at our local howe sound sites. I did get attacked by one at the Edmonds underwater park though.

Sweet. Is a Lingcod a grouper of some sort? Looks like it, but I didn't know any grouper were egg layers, all the ones I know are broadcast spawners.

Don't know is they are groupers, I just know they can get big.

41112_495515323997_676848997_6998748_6072248_n.jpg

62021_495515108997_676848997_6998732_2768506_n.jpg

60452_495514798997_676848997_6998715_5885288_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom