Line Of Duty Death - Michael Burgan, Sugar Creek Volunteer Fire Department, OH

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BladesRobinson

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
FLORIDA / LAT 27°39.133' / LON 080°22.261' / ICW M
Captain Mike Burgin of the Sugar Creek Volunteer Fire Department was killed in the Line of Duty on Friday.
Captain Burgin was a member of the Tuscarawas County Dive Team and performed dive rescue operations for the Sugar Creek VFD as well. Captain Burgin was in training in an effort to improve his ability to function as a diver for the county team, and his department.

FROM: Ohio man, 46, dies during diving class - Toledo Blade
Ohio man, 46, dies during diving class
GIBSONBURG, Ohio -- A Sugarcreek, Ohio, man died Friday during an advanced diving instruction class at White Star Quarry, authorities said.
Michael Burgan, 46, was more than 15 minutes into his second dive of the day about 2:15 p.m. when he surfaced from about 40 feet of water, said Steve Gruner, director of the Sandusky County Park District.
There was no earlier indication that the diver was having a problem, but at the surface, "he indicated he was having some distress," Mr. Gruner said. Mr. Burgan, who was a certified diver, lost consciousness and went under water, Mr. Gruner added.
The diving instructor recovered him from a depth of 61 feet.
Mr. Burgan was pronounced dead at the scene. His body was transported to the Lucas County coroner's office for an autopsy. No further information was available Saturday.
The dive team operated by the county sheriff's office and the Ballville Township fire department was on scene to investigate.

FROM: http://www.thenews-messenger.com/ar...6/Diver-dies-White-Star-Quarry?nclick_check=1
Diver dies at White Star Quarry
GIBSONBURG -- A diver at White Star Quarry died Friday afternoon after he lost consciousness while participating in an advanced diving class there, an official said.
Steve Gruner, Sandusky County Park District director, identified the diver as Michael Burgan, 46, of Sugarcreek. Gruner said Burgan, a certified diver, yelled for help when he came to the surface after a dive in the quarry at White Star Park. Then he lost consciousness.
Members of the class pulled him to the surface. A Life Flight medical helicopter crew pronounced him dead at the scene.
Burgan was taken to the Lucas County Coroner's Office for an autopsy, Gruner said.
"We're coordinating with them," he said. "We'll await their findings."
Officials do not know whether Burgan suffered from health problems.
The class was independently taught and not affiliated with the park district, Gruner said. There were four students and one instructor.
The county dive team, run by the Sandusky County Sheriff's Office and Ballville Township Volunteer Fire Department, planned to check under the water late Friday afternoon for anything unusual, Gruner said.

FROM: Sugarcreek Assistant Fire Chief Michael Burgan Dies During Advanced Diving Class
Ohio Assistant Fire Chief Dies During Diver Training
A Sugarcreek firefighter died Friday afternoon while participating in an advanced diving class at White Star Quarry in Gibsonburg.
Assistant Chief Michael Burgan, 46, reportedly yelled for help when he came to the surface after a dive before losing consciousness, according to The News-Messenger.
Burgan, a certified diver who was appointed as Sugarcreek's acting fire chief last month, was pulled to the surface by other members of the class that consisted of four students and an instructor.
He was pronounced dead at the scene and was taken the Lucas County Coroner's Office for an autopsy.
According to FirefighterCloseCalls.com Burgan was a member of the Tuscarawas County Dive Team and performed dive rescue operations for the Sugarcreek Fire Department.

Thank you, this was my uncle. I was with him on this dive.

Rest in Peace
Thank you for your service.

So sorry for your loss! Am a public safety diver just up the road from Sugar Creek. My heartfelt condolences to his family, friends and co-workers. I remember a Chief telling me once that he worried more about his divers than any other group. Sometimes we forget how serious our work is! A tragedy like this brings it back into perspective. Prayers to yours! t

It has been a long while since I've visited the ScubaBoard forum so I provide an "update" to this PSD Line of Duty Death. My apologies to Captain Burgan's nephew who posted and did not receive acknowledgement or message of sympathy from me. At the time I was sailing out of country with limited internet access.

So while doing some PSD Line of Duty Death research this week I reviewed the NIOSH report linked below. I am shocked and surprised this incident did not generate more discussion after the NIOSH report was released.
CDC - Directory of Fire Fighter Fatality Investigation and Prevention Program: Fire Fighter Fatality Investigation Report F2012-25

Though this is "an old incident" there are still good lessons that can be learned. In addition to the lack of an annual scuba skills review, over weighting and non-ditchable weight stand out. Medical fitness comes into question too but because the coroner lists "drowning" as the cause of death and the report states that the dive tank was empty, we should stick with the facts at hand and learn from this case.

Last edited:
Wow, that was a tough read.

Thx blades

Thank you, this was my uncle. I was with him on this dive.
I am sorry to learn about the death of your uncle, Captain Burgan. I am wrapping up some research public safety diving line of duty deaths and was hoping if you still subscribe to ScubaBoard, that you could send me a private message and share some details that were not included in the NIOSH report. In the meantime, please accept my sympathies and apologies. Regards,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom