LightWeight Vacation Rig Options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheFife

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am just getting back into diving after a long absence. I am looking at getting all new equipment. I want to put together a good travel rig. It will only be used for warm water tropical vacation rec diving. I want things to be as simple, light weight, and streamlined as possible. Money isn't a huge concern, but realistically the equipment will only be used 2 or 3 weeks a year, so no reason to be wasteful. Here is the basic rig I am considering. Please let me know if you think these are good choices, or if there are other options I should consider. I will plan to rent tank and weights.

This list ignores the mask, fins, snorkel, booties, as I already have that.

BCD
I want something with an integrated inflator, so that I won't have to have a safe second. I used to dive with a jacket style BC, but suspect the wing style will work fine for me. I would swap the basic pockets with the quick release version on this.

Scuba Pro Litehawk with Air 2
BCD_zpsqrhb7gzf.png

Regulator
I plan to use an air integrated computer and use the Air 2 instead of a second reg. I want something that breathes reasonably well and is lightweight and compact.

Scubapro mk21/c350

Reg_zpsrmntdhox.jpg

Computer
I want a computer with air integration. I also need something that will do nitrox. Lastly, I do snorkeling and shallow freediving, and want a computer that will work for that too, without locking me out. I would prefer something that had a compass, but don't really want to spend the extra couple hundred dollars to upgrade to the OCI.

Oceanic Atom 3.1 with Transmitter
Comupter_zpsbc2b2dfr.png

Wetsuit
I get cold fairly easily, so even doing Caribbean diving, I think I need more than a skin suit or 1mm. I have the 7/5 version of this suit, and it fits well and seems of good quality.

ScubaPro Everflex 3/2mm
Wetsuit_zpsdj5wor23.png

Bag for the Boat
I need something to transport my gear on and off the dive boat. I figure mesh is best here, as it lets things dry a bit.

Mares Duffle
Wet%20Bag_zpstjyvvgjq.jpg

Checked Luggage Bag
I want everything to fit into 1 suitcase. I recognize some items might be better kept in my carryon, but I am looking at a single bag just to make sure I have the space available.

Akona Maverick Roller Duffel
Travel%20Bag_zpsfspwy88x.jpg

Any comments or insights are appreciated.

Last edited:
Scubapro mk21/c350

I would get the MK21/S560. The S560 is a much better second stage and won't cost much more than the c350.

Oceanic Atom 3.1 with Transmitter

Although this Atom3.1/transmitter combination is awesome, I'd consider the Shearwater Perdix AI with transmitter. I am not sure how more it will cost however.

Mares Duffle

I'd get a mesh backpack, it is easier to put it on your back than hand carry in my experience.

All your choices look solid. They wouldn't be a mistake for sure. Keep in mind you can put an Air 2 or SS1 etc on any BC. If you were to tweak your choices, some suggestions:

I would save some cash on the regulator and buy a Deep 6 combo. It's cheaper up front and has a two-year service interval with free first service, so you get four years at no extra cost. And they are as good or better than the Scubapro options. In fact I'm selling my Mk17/G250v setup to make the switch to Deep 6.

With the money you save there, ditch the Atom in favor of a Perdix AI. It's much more user friendly and has a fantastic screen.

On the bag, I agree on swapping for a backpack mesh bag. I used a duffel style for years and once I finally bought the backpack I was kicking myself for not doing it sooner.

I would also forget that checked bag. Buy a regular, lightweight bag. Travelpro makes a very lightweight one that will make it much easier to stay under the checked weight limit. It's also good to be covert with your luggage, for security and for the few airlines that have extra fees for 'sporting equipment'.

You could save a pound or two and a lot of bulk by switching to a backplate and wing setup. It's what my wife and I dive, and have for many years. I suggest the Divegearexpress package for $299. They pack very well. As an example, I pack all my gear except fins plus minimal clothes for a week in a 21" carry-on bag, and it weighs about 34 pounds. Someday I'll get fins short enough to fit and they'll go in as well.

As far as the BC, I have a Transpac that packs easily. I have a pipe dream of being able to get all my gear and several days clothes in a carry on. The Transpac is foldable and can be matched up with most standard wins with strap slots or grommets for screws. I also have an aluminum backplate and Transplate harness. The Transpac is more comfortable diving and I put an Air2 on the wing. A BPW is customizable to fit you and set up like you want it. I still dive with an Octo as well though.

A lavacore wetsuit/skin is much more compact than standard neoprene. My wife dives a lavacore and sometimes gets hot on Cozumel dives. We just dove standard dive skins in Honduras and got a little chilly at the end of the dives.

I agree on the bag about not advertising scuba gear. We have a plastic sided large, but airline legal, suitcase that holds 2 full sets (regs and computers are in carryon) and weighs under 50#.

Good luck,
Jay

I would get the MK21/S560. The S560 is a much better second stage and won't cost much more than the c350.

Although this Atom3.1/transmitter combination is awesome, I'd consider the Shearwater Perdix AI with transmitter. I am not sure how more it will cost however.

Thanks for the suggestions. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Regulator
I mainly was looking at the c350 due to weight and size issues. What are the advantages of the s560? Serviceability, reliability, breathability, adjustability, etc.? The cost difference isn't much, but I am curious what the differences would be.

Perdix
I have seen the Perdix online, and it does look great. The cost isn't too much more. My concern is a free diving mode. I want something that will start its timer when I get below 4 or 5 ft. Then, when ascending, I don't want something that freaks out due to the ascent rate. I also want the time spent free diving to get factored into my overall nitrogen levels. Can the Perdix do this? If so, I think it might be a better choice, as the atom's interface is less than ideal.

Buy a regular, lightweight bag. Travelpro makes a very lightweight one that will make it much easier to stay under the checked weight limit. It's also good to be covert with your luggage, for security and for the few airlines that have extra fees for 'sporting equipment'.
I could've written this sentence. ^^

Mine is a tennis bag which has a big rectangular pocket on one side that just holds my XL fins and provides extra protection for the stuff inside. Basic blue, no logos, hard plastic bottom and roller blade style wheels on one end. The same bag has been on all my trips for over a decade with no damage except a inch long tear in one corner. Its a hard canvas bag, collapsible to fit under a boat bunk if needed and cost about $40 on sale at Macy's. The handles are also sewn completely around the bottom which I like when handing it on/off boats.

My carry-on is a TravelPro. in it goes regs, mask, computer and some non-dive things like clothes, laptop etc.

I like a mesh backpack for the boat also - this is mine. It folds into itself to create the little pouch seen. Amazon.com : Tilos Mesh Backpack Bag for Scuba Diving, Snorkeling, and More, black : Sports & Outdoors

My buddy has an Akona bag with the internal bracing and detachable pockets. His weighs more than mine so every trip we take I carry something of his - often his wetsuit - to stay under 50# checked. We also carry one of these since damp gar weighs more on our return flight. Balanzza Ergo Hand-Held Digital Luggage Scale USB

Last edited:
Don't worry about the so called "light weight" regulators. Going from a brass 1st stage/2nd stage to a Titanium counter part, you are saving about 10oz. If you are choosing between different brass regulator set, the whole set can't be differ by 5-6oz. Not worth considering unless everything else being equal.

I'd go with a travel bp/w option. Something like the Oxycheq travel backplate and a small wing like the Oxycheq 18lb.

Regs I'd go for the Deep6 stuff for the reasons already listed above. I'm not a fan of Air2's but to each their own.

If you want AI, go with the Perdix. The ascent rate isn't the problem, however the SIT freediving aspect is flirting with disaster. It's not the tracking of your residual nitrogen that's the problem, it's the high tissue concentration of inert gas post-dive migrating to either more sensitive tissues or potential pulmonary shunting. Basically, you're compressing the inert gas that's still in your system, but the rapid compression and decompression of these gases in freediving profiles can lead to DCS.

Unfortunately, there have been no formal studies, but there is anecdotal evidence that it's a bad idea. You might do it an think you're fine, until you end up in a chamber 8 hours later....

Concur with the backpack over the duffel, and ditch the fancy scuba luggage. Get something lightweight, that doesn't scream, "STEAL ME! Expensive scuba gear inside!"

I can't help you with the wetsuit thing. I only dive dry these days. My Waterproof 2.5mm hasn't seen water outside of a pool in years.

Regulator
I mainly was looking at the c350 due to weight and size issues. What are the advantages of the s560? Serviceability, reliability, breathability, adjustability, etc.? The cost difference isn't much, but I am curious what the differences would be.

The s560 is a balanced second stage, the c350 isn't. In theory, the s560 will perform better. It is the same design as the top selling and top performance S600 second stage except it is made from a plastic material. It will have the same awesome performance as the s600 ss but without the "cold water" rating the s600 has which shouldn't be an issue for you. We are standardizing on this s560 second stage and the MK17 for our training program for advanced, deep and "pre-tech" courses because of its performance and reliability. The MK21 first stage is an excellent first stage also.

You won't go wrong with the c350 btw but with the very little cost to get the s560, for me it is a non-issue and I'd get the s560 (I can skip a meal and save money for the upgrade :) ) .

Perdix
I have seen the Perdix online, and it does look great. The cost isn't too much more. My concern is a free diving mode. I want something that will start its timer when I get below 4 or 5 ft. Then, when ascending, I don't want something that freaks out due to the ascent rate. I also want the time spent free diving to get factored into my overall nitrogen levels. Can the Perdix do this? If so, I think it might be a better choice, as the atom's interface is less than ideal.

The Perdix doesn't do free diving! The Oceanic Atom3.1 does and it also will track nitrogen if you do free diving between scuba diving. The decision depends on how important the free diving mode is to you. If it is critical, then the Atom3.1 (or GEO2.0 or Veo 2.0 but no AI) will do it no problem.

Note: The AI transmitter for the Oceanic Atom3.1 is compatible with the Perdix AI.

Based on the above, your choices are:

1. Free diving mode isn't a critical factor: Go for the Perdix AI without a question if the additional cost isn't a big deal to you.

2. Free diving mode IS critical:
a. Buy Atom3.1 with transmitter for now. You can buy the Perdix AI later and it would work with the transmitter for the Atom3.1. You can use both, Perdix AI and Atom3.1, with one transmitter. This way you will have a main computer, Perdix, and a backup, the Atom3.1

b. Buy The Perdix AI with transmitter now and buy GEO2.0 or VEO 2.0 at any point you want a back up AND free diving mode.

Important note: You will need a backup computer sooner or later!!

Also, although the Oceanic computers will allow you to mix scuba and free diving "safely" and account for all/most factors, I personally wouldn't do it on the same day before completely outguessing after a scuba dive for several reasons.

Computers

Perdix AI - Shearwater Research

Back
Top Bottom