Lights for cave diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have made one HID light head for a canister light and am wanting to make more but because of limitations of the bulb supplier I have to order 5 bulbs at a time. The light head is made of Aluminium and is aproximatelly 2" dia and 4" inches long. If you are interested the total set up would be $200.00 for a HID light head. If your interested email me and if we can get enough folks commited then I can make them up and send them to you. You would just have to remove your old light head from the top of your canister and connect the new wires. Just putting it out if anyone is interested.

roguediver once bubbled...
What type of primary light is best for cave diving. What type is everyone using. Thanks for your help.
I DM for a shop that sells dive rite. I got a really good deal on a Wreck Light with 10W HID head. I've got about 50 cave dives on it and I have been very happy with it. It has never failed, despite my dropping the light head on the parking light once (not recommended, the replacement bulbs are around $150, I have heard).

The retail on the light is around $450. You can now get NiMH batteries and double the burn time and there is so much space in the little canister that you have to put some PVC fittings in it to take up the space.

If you are a beginner, and can't afford state of the art, there are a lot of older lights out there, with big canisters, but small price tags, comparitively speaking. As Mike said above, once in the water, a big canister isn't much of a problem.

I would like to have a Extreme Exposure, and will probably spring for one next year. I'll get a 18watt HID with NiMH batteries, for sure.

Happy shopping.

Campana

I started out with a Dive Rite Classic Light 50W Halogen during my cavern course that is sold at the shop that sits on Devils System Property.
It was like the Sun. Unfortunately too big for diving it with a single tank. I tried everything while I was diving a backinflation softpack and finally left it on a weight belt. Expensive ditchable weight.

I up (down) graded to the Dive Rite 10 W wreck 1 as soon as it came out. That night I went to Cow Springs around 9 pm at night. It was 28 F outside and the spring was nice and clear. My buddy decided to wait outside of the water while I played with this light in the open water basin. I was in love.

Then my dives started to get longer than 2 hours. I burned that battery for 2:45 mins one time...then it died :) but atleast I didn't.

I picked up a Pro 14 50 W from EE in hopes of getting the 18 HID.

At the time that all the stars lined up to get the HID head. I was getting ready to move to South Florida and start single tank diving.

I decided on the Pro 6 10W as a better alternative to use it for single and double tank diving.

Now I just wait and save my pennies for the Helios set up. 18W hid for 4 hours, EE quality and it is small.

Oh ..I buy everything in two's so my buddy is currently using a pro 6 10 HID and we'll up grade together.

good luck...your best bet is pick up a rental or ask a buddy to let you try theirs.

The EE lights are just too damn expensive for what you are getting. The Dive Rite MLS (I know, lots of people hate these lights) can offers a 5 hour burn time and I think retail is less than $400. You could buy a Dive Rite and a Sartek for the cost of the EE light.

I agree. I was able to get any light from Dive Rite or EE. I rented the lights, asked around, looked at my budget and started with Dive Rite.

The more I went diving. I realized different things that I like and disliked. When I was ready to get the most out of my diving, I started to upgrade my gear. Getting new gear...Selling the old stuff.

I would have saved money waiting another month and getting the gear that I am using now. If you think getting the lights is expensive, then you should try getting the cheaper one, then getting the better one and trying to sell the old one.

Now I wait and save my pennies. Again, the more I dive, I realize different things that I like and dislike. The gear I am using now will more than likely be sold in the next year or 2.

FYI: I'll be up in Cave Country the second weekend of Nov. Will you be around?

I have been diving the Dive rite MLS with the 10 watt Hid for about a year now , have not had one problem , have really enjoyed it and only payed $350.00 new.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom