Lights --can't afford a HID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IndyScott

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What do you think is the best light to own if you can not afford a his light.Scott:money:

Originally posted by ICUROK
What do you think is the best light to own if you can not afford a his light.Scott:money:

How about a her light? LOL!!!! hehehe. sorry. could not resist.

Pelican makes some nice handhelds. If you want a canister, light, check with some older cave divers, they might have some nice halogen cannister lights for sale now that a lt are going to HID.

make good lights. Many newer divers like the ones that take 6 or 8 C-cells.

I also pack a UK SL4 as a back up light. I like it lots.

I was in the same boat as you a couple months ago. I finally sucked it up and bought an HID because I knew I would eventually do so anyway. One thing worked in my favor and can work in yours also: Halcyon/EE are changing over to a NIMH battery pack (smaller canister) so the old style HID lights can be had much cheaper than previously. Contact EE and check.

Failing that, UK makes a handheld HID that is quite affordable.

Failing that also, check ebay or gue gear exchange sites for used halogen canister lights. There's a bunch for sale in various places.

Tom

Airspeed press has a book on how to make your own cannister light. I believe they say you can do this for a little over $100 US.

I think the book is about $30 US.

I found an SL4 Underwater Kinetics light on the bottom of the ocean. It still worked, & has become a stand-by for me even on day dives. I will buy another of these when I need a new one.

Is it a HID you don't want to spend the money on, or a canister light? I bought a UK Light Cannon HID for $160. I didn't want to spring for a canister light, but was sold on HID's advantages.

Originally posted by art.chick
I found an SL4 Underwater Kinetics light on the bottom of the ocean. It still worked, & has become a stand-by for me even on day dives. I will buy another of these when I need a new one.

I like the SL4 a lot. I also like the UK D8. Pelican Nemo is a good choice too if you don't mind the pistol grip.

Originally posted by art.chick
I was wondering where my light went! :bounce:

....just kidding. :jester:

HID can be cheaper than you think. You can get a UK Light Cannon for under $150.00 at LeisurePro, which is a great deal for a non-canister HID light. But at the same time, you can do very well going with a halogen/xenon light which has its own solid attributes.

Halogen/Xenon Lights:
1. Generally cheaper than HID lights
2. Replacement bulbs are much cheaper, though HID bulbs last longer (until you drop your lamp)
3. Illuminate what you want them to without "overlighting" which can offend some wildlife and other divers. If you want the power of the Sun underwater, then definitely go HID, but I think a higher end H/X can give you plenty of light as well.

I can recommend the one that I recently purchased, the Underwater Kinetics Sunlight C8R (Rechargeable). It has two bulbs for highbeam/lowbeam and redundancy, and a light output of up to 20 watts. For the record, the light output of the UK Light Cannon HID, is 25 watts.

Happy Diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom