Lighting the compass?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rollerboi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I went on a dive last Thursday in which we were introduced to wrist-mounted compasses. I have also been enjoying my Oxycheq Raider I light, mounted on my left hand with the light sock.

My first instinct was to put the compass on the left wrist behind the light. My bottom timer went on the right. Bet you can sense where I'm going here...

After my dive, I referred to Jablonski's book for the proper configuration. It states that the light head should be held in the left hand (so I was okay there..), but the picture on p. 64 shows the compass and watch also on the left hand, with the bottom timer on the right (as I was configured).

I see the compass should be on the left as well, to avoid scooter interference (among other reasons).

This all makes sense, except for one thing. When I attempted to actually view my compass, I found that I was unable to. The light was fixed to my compass hand. I can't seem to find anything in there about the standard procedure, and wonder how you guys view your compass?

Do you slide the light off your hand, if using a Goodman handle? Somehow, it doesn't feel right to switch on a backup light just to look at your compass.

(note: I do understand that I'm not using a standard canister light as my primary, but I would like to learn what your technique is even if it doesn't apply to my light.)

It's not a big deal.

Switch your light head to your right hand, get your bearing, switch back, no worries.

If you're using a 'pull & glide' technique in a high-flow cave, you'll find yourself switching your lighthead from time to time anyway.

Don't get hung up on rigid guidelines. They're guidelines. You will need to alter your behavior to respond appropriately to your environment as you find it. The goal is to think through thoroughly what you're doing and why.

Best,

Doc

It's not a big deal.

Switch your light head to your right hand, get your bearing, switch back, no worries.
(...)
Don't get hung up on rigid guidelines. They're guidelines. You will need to alter your behavior to respond appropriately to your environment as you find it. The goal is to think through thoroughly what you're doing and why.

Cool. Yeah, this is what I figured I'll do for the next dive.

I'm not hung up on the guidelines, really - since it's not a can light, I am more worried about accidentally dropping it, which would really suck. :) I think I'll also feel more comfortable once I put a clip on the light so it can be fixed to the light sock's bungee in case the light decides to slip out.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom