Lighting suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Splint

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Nikon Coolpix 5900 and a Ikelite housing and I find that the housing blocks part of the flash area, this becomes very obvious on close up shots. I need to improve the lighting of the camera but I have no experience in this area and no idea what I require. I don't neccesarily need to stick with Ikelite products as I'm quiet capable of constructing any adaptor mechanism required to make things fit. At this point I'm thinking in terms of used equipment to keep the cost reasonable though. Anyone able to make any suggestions?

Thanks
Splint

Clearly it's time to step up to an external strobe. Plenty of used Ikelite and Sea & Sea strobes out there. My personal opinion: Ike 50's are a good start and reasonable ($200 and under) and Sea & Sea YS-90's are also good used strobes as well. The YS-90's have a few variations, some of which may be better for you since these support optical triggering, which you may require. I have found this site helpful in comparing features on the many strobes out there:

Underwater Strobe Comparison Guide - Digital Diver Network

I like Ikelite and Sea & Sea because sync cords for these are easy to find. Inon is also excellent, but not too many used ones come up on eBay, or at least not for very cheap. Best of luck!

You can check out our focus light, it's a great accessory to have and it'll allow you to shoot in low light areas without having to deal with the lag and ending up with pictures that are out of focus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom