Lighting plan for rec diver in 15-30 ft vis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt-

Both the Salvo and the Sartek are a nice lights, I was comparing a 21w to a Salvo at Northwest Sports Divers the other day.

A few considerations (bottom line is I'd steer you towards the Salvo):

1) The switches. I like the switch on the Salvo better, seems a bit more rugged as compared to the rotating switch on the Sartek.

2) Handles: The Sartek is interesting, but I've heard multiple people complaining about the open Goodman-style handle on the Sartek snagging on things.

3) Bulbs: I could be mistaken, but I think the Sartek is a WA bulb, the Salvo uses a Brightstar. While the WA will be a bit bluer in color, it is also MUCH more fragile. Given that lights can take a beating, it seems that many people have come to prefer the durability of the Brightstar in the Salvo.

Overall, I'd say the 10w Salvo (at around $650, go see Matt at NWSD) is a great entry-level light. It will serve you well in these waters (I was diving with a buddy that had one the other night at Cove 2 and it did everything my 21w did, just not as bright). You can get a cheaper, fixed-focus light through Sea Elite that is a rebranded Salvo, but the beam is sort of a mushy, mid-width do everything okay beam. Given that a tight beam is better for signalling, and given that lights around here can be critical in that regard, I'd say the focusable 10w Salvo is the way to go.

In the end, you could pay ~$300 for a lantern style light, but you will--if you are diving with any regularity around here with divers that use them--eventually want a can light. The 10w Salvo will do everything you need it to do, and will become a great backup light when gear envy rises to the level of you needing to buy the new 35w.

Hope this helps,

-Doug

Matt, talk to NWSD before you plunk down any money. From what Matt was saying to me today, you might be able to do better than $650 on the Salvo 10W. (He has the Dive Rite, too, and the hand-held I was talking about.)

I tried the Light Cannon before I bought my Nite Rider, but I'll tell you that lugging that thing around in my hand (after the ease of a Goodman handle) drove me buggy.

Yeah, I have never even used dive light yet, but I can tell that anything that takes up a hand is going to bug me...

Doug, thanks for that comparison. I had thought the Sartek used the Brightstar but if it doesn't that's probably a deal breaker.

Matt S.:
I am shopping around for lights and I was hoping to get some opinions on my strategy.

I dive in the Seattle area, where 30 ft of vis is a good day. I need a light for peeking into dark holes and occasional night dives. (I will also do tropical dives on vacation.) I'm not going into wrecks or caves and I don't need more than a couple hours of burn time.

As I won't do a lot of night diving, cost is a big factor.

My very tentative plan is to get a PT Miniwave for use as a primary light, and some kind of small and inexpensive halogen or LED as a backup--just to get me surfaced if he primary dies. (The UK eLED Plus looks nice too but is much bigger and I don't need the extra burn time.)

If warranted, I'll upgrade to something better (eg cannister) later. I don't want to spend that kind of money until I know I need to. I'm a new diver with plenty of other things to buy. And even other hobbies. :)

I very much want some kind of light that I can strap on my wrist instead of lugging around, but those of course all cost quite a bit more. I have been looking at the Nocturnal LED, which seems really nice, but it's almost 3x the cost of a bright handheld LED. Handsfree is a big advantage though, especially since one hand is often fiddling with my camera already.

(I'm open to used gear, but of course you just have to wait and see what deals come along.)

Thanks for your thoughts.

Hi Matt,

Take a look at Green Force, www.mantaindustries.com. Because we offer a modular system, An intro system can be more affordable. Because our systems never become obsolete, you can simply upgrade to a brighter head like HID. We don't use switches (they are failure points and our batteries are seals; latches are failure points too) our activation is twist. Our Tristar Plus is a great LED, very close to HID. If you have any questions let me know.

Thanks - Greg

Thanks Greg, I have been reading about them and they are nice all right. :)

Matt at NWSD also has a (used, I believe) 21W Salvo for $750. I'm going to take a look at his can lights on Saturday.

I am formulating a new plan... Thanks to this thread and other searches I have come around to thinking of LEDs as inadequate primaries for our area. And in talking with my wife/buddy, she believes she would be happy compromising on a lantern or pistol grip unit. (The pocketbook will also be happy with that, buying 2 cans at once would be a killer.)

So, I think we will get something like a Darkbuster Jr. or Light Cannon for her as our first light. That way we can at least look into dark holes on our day dives, and I'll get a proper HID can light down the road when we decide to try night diving.

I've got a Light Cannon with less than 20 dives on it that I don't use anymore. I got the Sartek. I don't have the box anymore but I do have both the pistol and the lantern grip handles (and the light diffuser for photo use!). It has the lantern grip attached now with a bolt snap tied onto it. And I'm not asking anywhere near $300. Just enough to buy me an Ok backup light, since this is too big to carry for that.
gomi_

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom