Lighthouse Reef Resort??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AZ_Zoner

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Does anyone know the status of Lighthouse Reef Resort? It's been several years since it has been open and at one time I thought there were new owners.

It was a great place to kick back plus had incredible diving.

thanks

Craig

Does anyone know the status of Lighthouse Reef Resort? It's been several years since it has been open and at one time I thought there were new owners.

It was a great place to kick back plus had incredible diving.

thanks

Craig

Craig: If you get any info let me know......we are planning a trip to Belize in the near future and looked at Lighthouse's web page and wondered the same thing. Hope they have reopened but don't know

So far as I know it's still closed and not likely to open in the foreseeable future. If you want the sort of feel that place had then consider Thatch Caye, a private island off the coast at Dangriga. Moderate prices, superb very relaxed eco-friendly quality, and close to some very good diving. Interesting places on the barrier reef close by (Southwater Caye Marine Park), not far from Glovers and Turneffe, and not too far from southern Lighthouse. Also quite close to Gladden Spit for whale shark viewing at the right time of the year.

I used to work at Lighhouse Reef resort many moons ago but Never been to Thatch Caye yet although it looks very nice but no way it has the quality of diving like that of Lighthouse Reef the closest place to compare Lighhouse is Glovers which is more than an hour away from thatch caye and you have to pay a premium for the liberty to get out there each day so while Thatch Caye is simalr pricing to Lighhouse Reef you have to tag on extra to get out to the Atoll for the very best diving.

I have dove around the area of Thatch Caye and its nice diving but no where near comparision with Lighhouse Reef.

There is a resort on Lighhouse Reef called Huracan Diving not as luxury as Lighhouse was but the divings the same or you want to truly stay at a comparable place with both diving and accomodation try Isla Marisol located on Glovers Reef Now thats awesome diving and no add ons to dive the very best diving in Belize each day.

I think the location of Thatch Caye is good and excellent to cover the Whale Sharks some nice reef diving and access to Glovers reef plus the island itself looks real nice an I look forward to getting down there when I get back to check it out.

Gaz Cooper

I would recommend Huracan Diving. Very nice people in a very nice small resort (unless you decide instead to come to Placencia in which case you should consider us at Splash Dive Center (Splashbelize.com).

I'm going to Marisol on May 22 for a couple days diving, I've never been to Glovers yet. Done a bit of Turneffe and Lighthouse...I'm stoked.

I'm stoked.

What does that mean? In Britain I think it means you're terribly disappointed, but I suspect you don't mean that. A bit like "lucked out", which in Britain means "out of luck", but in the US means the opposite (for some strange reason).

Wow, who knew a simple word like "stoke" could have so many meanings?

Per Dictionary.com:

stoked   [stohkt]
–adjective Slang.

1. exhilarated; excited.
2. intoxicated or stupefied with a drug; high.

stoke   [stohk] verb, stoked, stok·ing.
–verb (used with object)

1. to poke, stir up, and feed (a fire).
2. to tend the fire of (a furnace, esp. one used with a boiler to generate steam for an engine); supply with fuel.

–verb (used without object)
3. to shake up the coals of a fire.
4. to tend a fire or furnace.

Origin
1675&#8211;85; < D stoken to feed or stock a fire; see stock
Dictionary.com Unabridged
Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2010.

Word Origin & History
stoke
1660 (implied in stoker), "to feed and stir up a fire in a fireplace," from Du. stoken "to stoke," from M.Du. stoken "to poke, thrust," related to stoc "stick, stump," from P.Gmc. *stok-, variant of *stik-, *stek- "pierce, prick" (see stick (v.)). Stoked "enthusiastic" first recorded 1902; revived in surfer slang 1963.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper

stoke (st&#333;k)
v. stoked, stok·ing, stokes

v. tr.
To stir up and feed (a fire or furnace).

To feed fuel to and tend the fire of (a furnace).

v. intr.
To feed or tend a furnace or fire.

Informal To eat steadily and in large quantities.

[Back-formation from stoker.]
stoked (st&#333;kt)
adj. Slang

Exhilarated or excited.

Being or feeling high or intoxicated, especially from a drug.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2009 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Medical Dictionary
stoke definition
Pronunciation: /&#712;st&#333;k/
Function: n
: the cgs unit of kinematic viscosity being that of a fluid which has a viscosity of one poise and a density of one gram per cubic centimeter

Stokes Pronunciation: /&#712;st&#333;ks/
Sir George Gabriel (1819-1903) British mathematician and physicist. Stokes enjoyed a long and illustrious association with Cambridge University. He is noted for his studies of the behavior of viscous fluids and for a theorem which is fundamental to vector analysis. The stoke unit honors his name.
Merriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary, © 2007 Merriam-Webster, Inc.

stoke (st&#333;k)
n.
A unit of kinematic viscosity equal to that of a fluid with a viscosity of one poise and a density of one gram per milliliter.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary
Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.

Slang Dictionary

stoked (on (so or sth)) definition

mod.
excited by someone or something. (See also stokin'.) : We were stoked on Mary. She is the greatest.
Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions by Richard A. Spears.Fourth Edition. Copyright 2007. Published by McGraw Hill.

I'm thinking Hank's exhilarated and excited to the point of feeling intoxicated.

Either that or he's planning on poking a fire with a stick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom