Lighter Wing for an Aluminum Backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EberWolf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been using the Vintage Double Hose Argonaut 32# wing and a SS Freedom Plate for a few years. I recently picked up a vintage plate from Subsea sports to go with my Argonaut Kraken.

I contacted Eric Sedletzky (freedom plate) and he pointed out that the tank band slots are wider ( 3 inches inside edge to edge) between the tank band slots than some wing.

I'm looking for a wing with around 20#'s of lift. A little more or less is fine. But the tank band slots need to fit the 3 inch slots on the plate.

I've been using the Vintage Double Hose Argonaut 32# wing and a SS Freedom Plate for a few years. I recently picked up a vintage plate from Subsea sports to go with my Argonaut Kraken.

I contacted Eric Sedletzky (freedom plate) and he pointed out that the tank band slots are wider ( 3 inches inside edge to edge) between the tank band slots than some wing.

I'm looking for a wing with around 20#'s of lift. A little more or less is fine. But the tank band slots need to fit the 3 inch slots on the plate.
The only problem is most of the super narrow profile wings like Oxycheq Mach 5, VDH, DGX Gears 30, Mares has a slim wing, etc. those all have cam bands slots that are just over 2”. There is a strip of 2” weight belt webbing sewn down the center panel and the slots are right on either side of that strip.
The other type wings that have wider placed slots are generally the wider style like OMS, Hollis, and many others. You can usually tell which wings are the wide style by studying the pictures online.
Deep 6 might be an in between style which is not terribly wide but not ridiculously skinny either. I have never seen one in the flesh so I’m Just speculating.
Diverite also has some fairly slim wings but there is no solid center panel per say. They use two strips of webbing to form cross hairs, one vertical and one sewn in cross wise in the middle. The large gaping open areas are your slots.
Hopefully someone can chime in and recommend something.

I was looking at Scuba Gear - Diving Equipment
There's 6 wings that might work including the HOG and Dive rite travel wing.
20lb Travel Wing- by Highland SKU: HL20W
Travel EXP Wing- by Dive Rite SKU: BC4100
Travel XT Wing- by Dive Rite SKU: BC5100-E
Travel EXP Wing Black/Grey- by Dive Rite SKU: BC4100-E-12-1
Hog 23lb Single Tank Wing- by HOG Gear SKU: HOG-0121-BB
ST 22 Wing - by Hollis SKU: 208.1254.022

Anyone have hands on experience with any of these? Aside from the HOG.

Jim

...I'm looking for a wing with around 20#'s of lift. A little more or less is fine. But the tank band slots need to fit the 3 inch slots on the plate.
A couple of months ago I purchased a new VDH Argonaut 23# wing to use with my DH reg (1st gen PRAM) + VDH Classic Al DH Flat Plate. After I replaced the corrugated inflator hose (16"?) it shipped with, with the OEM longer one (19"?), I continue to be extremely pleased with this wing

Maybe the VDH Argonaut 23# wing can be picked up on the used market.

Note: Since I wear this DH rig lower on my back (than, say, my SP Mk 10's on my SS Freedom Plate), I needed the longer corrugated inflator hose.

Good luck.

rx7diver

I wonder if the manufacturer of the VDH wings is willing to continue production and shippping. I got one a month before Bryan passed, and it was a direct ship from the manufacturer...

ST 22 Wing - by Hollis SKU: 208.1254.022

Anyone have hands on experience with any of these? Aside from the HOG
I use both the hollis st22 wing and their s38lx, depending on where I'm diving. I am very happy with both of them, although I can't say I have used a bunch of other brand wings to be able to compare.

I wonder if the manufacturer of the VDH wings is willing to continue production and shippping. I got one a month before Bryan passed, and it was a direct ship from the manufacturer...

Who is the manufacture?? I ordered one from Bryan but unfortunately he passed away before shipping it so never got my order but still really want to order one.

What about a Hog 23pound lift wing? Would it fit/work?

Back
Top Bottom