light recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gatorshark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I searched for a general answer here but the huge amount of technical info was overwhelming:

I am looking for the brightest and durable (longlasting) light out there. I have two, one was a cheapy purchase I made when beginning, the other is good quality but too big. I don't take pictures or cave dive and probably only use my light on 1 in 3 dives to look into a hole or under a ledge, thus me desire for a small handheld. Suggestions please!

The best bang for the buck I have found is a Intova light,about 50 dollars or so. Their new lights are twice as bright as the old one I bought, and it is plenty bright for me,would like to get a new one though.

This is the brightest little light that I have found.

Dorcy 41-1467 6AAA-Battery 180-Lumen LED Super Flux Dive Light

You can get one on Amazon for $45. I have combined it with a OxyCheq light sock for hands free and it now use it as my primary. I like the light so much that I bought a second as a back up. It is brighter than both of my pistol grip lights.

This is the brightest little light that I have found.

Dorcy 41-1467 6AAA-Battery 180-Lumen LED Super Flux Dive Light

You can get one on Amazon for $45. I have combined it with a OxyCheq light sock for hands free and it now use it as my primary. I like the light so much that I bought a second as a back up. It is brighter than both of my pistol grip lights.

How does this light work with rechargeable batteries?

I use energizer rechargables and they work great. I have done two night dives on one charge, each over an hour long, and a week apart. The rechargables worked fine, I did put them back in the charger since those dives. I don't like letting them sit inside the light and now plan to recharge them before I make multiple dives. Also since the batteries come in a four pack, I had to buy two packs which leaves me with two spare batteries to replace if needed inbetween dives.

I use energizer rechargables and they work great. I have done two night dives on one charge, each over an hour long, and a week apart. The rechargables worked fine, I did put them back in the charger since those dives. I don't like letting them sit inside the light and now plan to recharge them before I make multiple dives. Also since the batteries come in a four pack, I had to buy two packs which leaves me with two spare batteries to replace if needed inbetween dives.

This light does look interesting, and I also saw in the specs that NiMH batteries are allowed. I would prefer a light that uses AA cells. My panasonic travel charger only takes 2 AAA cells at a time, so I'd have to find another charger-- not a big deal. I also have a preference for a plastic body over aluminum. The price makes this a real bargain.

Here's more info I found on this light:

http://www.flashlightreviews.info/luxeon-k2/dorcy-k2-luxeon-led-dive-light-41-1467

Adam

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom