Light Recommendations for <$75???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jerlane

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi there, I am looking for my first light. We only dive about once a year, but I would like to have my own light either for night dives or snorkeling at night. I would like something small, so probably not a pistol style. I would prefer to be closer to $50, but could maybe squeeze out a few more bucks if it makes a big difference.

Thanks in advance!
Jeremy

My vote is for the Oxycheq Raider I light. Super-bright, compact, double o-ring seal, uses AA batteries (including NiMH rechargeables if desired), and you can buy a really nifty "light sock" hand attachment for it. Note that Scubatoys gives 10% off those listed prices for scubaboard members, and shipping is free with orders over $50.

I have an Ikelite PC Lite LED. 5 Watts, 7 hour burn time, 75.95 at LP. Its a good light for the money. I have 4 other lights, bigger and smaller, this is my favorite. Its plenty bright for a primary light and small enough to carry when you just want something to check in holes for critters for day dives. Once you use an LED light, its hard to go back to a plain halogen or xenon bulb. The LED is tough (resistant to knocks) and bright as anything short of an HID. There are better lights out there, but you need to add an extra digit to the price.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Any thoughts on the PT Torrent LED? It looks like the new model is rated to 95 lumens.

A question about LED vs. Xenon.... most LEDs I've seen (not dive lights) give off more of a white light. How does that work underwater? Is it actually better for colors?

I have been diving the Oxycheck Raider and have been impressed with its light output. I just had a cannister light built for me as in the Puget Sound I wouldn't rely on the raider as my primary for a night dive.

I have the Ikelite LED, my son has the same light, but a cheaper version with the Xenon bulb. When we put them side by side, the LED is much brighter, more white and slightly more even. I can't say the LED is better for colors, that is a very subjective judgement for non-photo expert like me. On the surface, the light is a little harsh (think flourescent lights vs incadescent), but underwater it does not seem so.

I just got the PT Shockwave for $56.00 and the PT Torrent for $60.00 from Sport Chalet, but havent used either yet.

Wish I couldve helped.

Well i have used the smaller UK lights for several years and like them. Have the Qsomething (small 4 AA cell one) and the long 4 and 6 cell ones (SL4 and SL6??). They have a easy operating switch on the front. I have gotten them at online discount places for about $20-$35 each. Scuba stores charge up to $80 for them. They are available in LED or incandescent, and there is a LED upgrade for many of the incandescent ones. The leds are more expensive than the plain ones.

Haven't tried the 'light cannon' and don't expect too. When I need that kind of light I'll splurge and get a canister light. That way i am less likely to litter the ocean floor with another light...

Take a look at Piranha Mfg's "Penetrator 180" dive light. 180 lumens, aluminum body with dual O-rings, twist head to turn on or off. $49.99 on sale

We just got two - and so far, they're pretty impressive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom