Light opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mostlyirish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone used the Sea Elite 1500 light? Our local (Diver's Supply) shop is running a special and I am considering it.

I am interested in a moderately priced light. I am a warm water diver who does not dive caves at this time. I am looking for a light for looking in cracks and under shelves and occassional night diving. I don't use a light often enought to spend several hundred dollars for a high quality light. On the other hand I have owned cheaper ($30-40) lights and been very disappointed. Any opinions or suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Pat

In warm clear water it is, IMO, too much light for night diving. I cannot find info on its beam angle, to be of any real use during the day a narrow beam is required.

No experience with the Sea Elite but I agree that 1500 lumens, if that is accurate, is too much light for typical night diving. Your best option would be to purchase a light that provides a bright light when needed and can be dimmed down to a 50% setting when that is more appropriate.

As for the accuracy of the 1500 lumen claim, the bulb they report using in the specs is not able to generate that much lumen. It can generate about 1000 lumens maximum. In order to get 3 hours of burn time it's likely only giving you about 500 lumens. The 1500 lumen claim alone would steer me clear away from purchasing this light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom