light Newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use Intova Compact Torches. They are light and powerfull, great for recreational night diving.

+1 for the penetrator's great little lights at a great price and brighter than most in that price range.

Just wanted to say thanks for the recommendations and the link to the deal on the 2-pack of the Penetrator 220's at Pirahna Mfg. I ordered a set last week and they arrived Friday. Great light - very bright for such a compact size. Haven't taken it diving yet, but it was just what I was looking for. Something small and affordable that I can use to peer under the reefs to get a better look at Mr. Moray. I knew everyone said that these lights were the same as the Dorcy 220, but I was surprised that it had the Dorcy logo on it. I thought it was going to have a Pirahna or Penetrator logo. Anyway, thanks!!

Just be careful at night as the tight beams on those lights can do some serious damage to the fishes eyes

Antagonist, it really depends on the water conditions in which you dive. If you are diving in clear water, almost any light will give you enough illumination for night diving -- in fact, too much light is actually counterproductive, as you want to see nocturnal animals! In turbid water, you need the intensity and focus that will punch through the particulates. The Dorcy lights, already mentioned, are very bright and very focused, and we have found them to be reliable except for an annoying tendency to turn themselves on at depth (which is not an issue for night dives, but is when you use them as backup lights!) The price is hard to beat, as well.

Just be careful at night as the tight beams on those lights can do some serious damage to the fishes eyes

Will do. I don't plan to use these at night except as a backup. I will get something with a wider angle for night time. I wanted a tight beam for daytime peering into shaded overhangs. But I will be mindful of the eyes. I know I wouldn't want anyone pointing that thing in my eyes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom