Light Monkey 21W LED question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbulmer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was just wondering if anyone with a Light Monkey 21w LED experiences any flickering of the light?

I suspect I have a problem with the LED but I'm not sure.

Any ideas?

I'm doing a burn test at the moment but this flickering is annoying.
My torch was bought in January and has been used a couple of times in fresh water.

I've read somewhere that the OSTAR LED's used in these lights has been obsolete for several years now, and they weren't that great. Can any one confirm this? If so, what was the major shortcomings of these LED's?

Thanks.

I've read somewhere that the OSTAR LED's used in these lights has been obsolete for several years now, and they weren't that great. Can any one confirm this? If so, what was the major shortcomings of these LED's?

Thanks.

Tendency to flicker?

Well looks like some kind of repair will be needed.
I put the torch in a bucket of water and left it for 6.5 hours and the torch was still running.

I switched it off and then when I got home last night I tried again.
It's been 12 hours now and the torch is still on !

Good to know. Do you know if they are still using the same LED for their 21w light?

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question - the burn time on my torch is supposed to be 5 hours so the times I'm getting indicate a problem as far as I can tell.

The flicker I'm talking about is more an erratic flash than a gentle flicker so it's off for repair.

Well it's back from repair and all seems well. The repair took a couple of days to get repaired.

The seller of the torch felt that it was user error on my part but it wasn't. Somehow the cover over the LED was not there and the light had flooded so I ended up with a new light head.

Back
Top Bottom