Light-headedness + Nausea Upon Surfacing on a Beach Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay! So big news... I saw the ENT Doctor/Surgeon and he said that I have a significantly deviated septum that is probably causing uneven equalization. The side that is being blocked is where pressure 'leaked' from the day after diving.

He strongly recommended getting Septoplasty to correct the deviation. However, I said I wanted to think about it (obviously) and he prescribed me Flonase to spray before a dive and also told me to pick up Sudafed and Saline Spray. He said this might not help, but that I should try this to help clear up my nasal passageways.

He said it was OK to try to dive, but that he thinks getting the procedure will be the only way to really get rid of my symptoms and not have to ascend EXTRA slowly.

Any thoughts?
It's good to know where you are. If you're going to use Sudafed, skip the OTC meds. Sudafed got its name from the pseudoephedrine ingredient, but the company uses the brand name on OTC meds that contain none, especially since pseudoephedrine became restricted - in that you have to get it from behind the counter, after showing your ID, with limits on how much you can buy and in some states how much you can possess. In fact, some states require a prescription. Additionally, try taking it on a day in advance of diving to make sure it doesn't bother you like it does some as it can be a stimulant. All that said, I'd hate to go a day without it with my allergies and I shop around for the best deals, keeping a large supply in case of a shortage. Walgreens has a private label box containing generic Actifed that also includes an antihistamine - at a low price.

Flonase is a steroid with a lot of info to consider: Flonase Information from Drugs.com

The deviated septum is not going to get better on its own so you will probably end up fixing it. Good luck.

Okay! So big news... I saw the ENT Doctor/Surgeon and he said that I have a significantly deviated septum that is probably causing uneven equalization. The side that is being blocked is where pressure 'leaked' from the day after diving.

He strongly recommended getting Septoplasty to correct the deviation. However, I said I wanted to think about it (obviously) and he prescribed me Flonase to spray before a dive and also told me to pick up Sudafed and Saline Spray. He said this might not help, but that I should try this to help clear up my nasal passageways.

He said it was OK to try to dive, but that he thinks getting the procedure will be the only way to really get rid of my symptoms and not have to ascend EXTRA slowly.

Any thoughts?

Septoplasty is a relatively simple surgery with a quick recovery time. I've had two (stubborn septum). Pulling the packing out is a bit disconcerting but that's the worst part. If a septoplasty would prevent uneven equalization for you it's definitely worth considering in my personal (and medical) opinion. You may also find that it's easier and more comfortable to breathe; I know I did.

It's good to know where you are. If you're going to use Sudafed, skip the OTC meds. Sudafed got its name from the pseudoephedrine ingredient, but the company uses the brand name on OTC meds that contain none, especially since pseudoephedrine became restricted - in that you have to get it from behind the counter, after showing your ID, with limits on how much you can buy and in some states how much you can possess. In fact, some states require a prescription. Additionally, try taking it on a day in advance of diving to make sure it doesn't bother you like it does some as it can be a stimulant. All that said, I'd hate to go a day without it with my allergies and I shop around for the best deals, keeping a large supply in case of a shortage. Walgreens has a private label box containing generic Actifed that also includes an antihistamine - at a low price.

Flonase is a steroid with a lot of info to consider: Flonase Information from Drugs.com

The deviated septum is not going to get better on its own so you will probably end up fixing it. Good luck.

Thank you... yes- I think I'm going to try using just the medication for now until I get it fixed... I think I've been convinced that it would be a good idea. Thanks for the link regarding Flonase- I think I would only use this on the day of a dive. I got the 'real stuff' in terms of sudafed so we'll so how that goes down in my system.

Septoplasty is a relatively simple surgery with a quick recovery time. I've had two (stubborn septum). Pulling the packing out is a bit disconcerting but that's the worst part. If a septoplasty would prevent uneven equalization for you it's definitely worth considering in my personal (and medical) opinion. You may also find that it's easier and more comfortable to breathe; I know I did.

Two of them?! Wow. I have been doing some research and it seems like a good idea. I hate having operations (who doesn't) but I suppose it would probably make my girlfriend happier too without all the snoring.

I appreciate all of your help regarding this matter. How long did it take to get back in the water? I hear about a month.

Two of them?! Wow. I have been doing some research and it seems like a good idea. I hate having operations (who doesn't) but I suppose it would probably make my girlfriend happier too without all the snoring.

I appreciate all of your help regarding this matter. How long did it take to get back in the water? I hear about a month.

I'd err on the side of waiting too long, if anything. Definitely wait until you're cleared for full activity by the surgeon, and ensure that he/she knows that the area will be subject to pressure changes and possibly direct pressure during mask equalization. You don't want your mask mashing down on the surgical site before it's completely healed... you'll be at risk of injuring it and having to have a repeat procedure. FWIW, I had it done the first time when I was on active duty 20-odd years ago. My dog (a big wolf hybrid) whacked me in the nose with his paw less than a week after the surgery, which I think is what knocked it off kilter and brought about the need for the second procedure some years later.

Best regards,
DDM

Well guys, just wanted to update:

I had Septoplasty and Turbinate Reduction Surgery this past Thursday. Going in for my follow-up appointment this Thursday, and I'm hoping the doc will let me know when I can get back in the water.

Thanks all for the advice, and I hope that this resolves my problem!

Dear All,

I read with a lot of interest this thread as I suffer from similar symptoms (ie. light headedness after scuba diving). There is much written around light headedness or vertigo while scuba diving but very little on the subject post a dive … or at least I was not able to locate the relevant threads.

I have been scuba diving since July 2013 when I did my Padi OW Advanced and today have around 25 dives. So pretty much a newbie to the scuba scene but have done some serious snorkeling for about 40 years! I have never had any issues equalizing or any related ear pain and do not suffer from any medical conditions to my knowledge.

After the last two scuba dives (19th Oct & 26th Oct) plus a snorkel (24th Oct) I have felt rather woozy after the swim and it seemed to have lasted for rest of the day. On a scale of 1 (low) to 10 (intense) I am probably around 3 or 4 which does not affect going around with the day to day duties including driving and would classify it as being uncomfortable. No nausea feeling experienced.

So yesterday (3rd Nov) I did another dive of the same depth/time levels as previous times and was more careful to take on board some of the recommendations in this thread around speed of ascent/descent, more regular equalizing, etc and it probably helped a wee bit and was on a rating of 2 or 3 on the woozy scale!

Nasal spray (sea line solution?) seems to have done the trick as within the hour of spraying or so I was much better! I applied it around 1 hour after the dive.B

Bugger did not try equalising on land which is something mentioned above and I had missed!

I will give it another go next weekend and let you know however I wanted to ask some more newbie questions around the nasal spray and somebody already eluded to it … is long term use of nasal spray a problem? Having said that it would not be considered being addicted as it is one spray after a dive! Is the recommendation to use the spray before a dive and after the dive? Is there a time when it should be done (ie. Straight after a dive and an hour before_?

Thanks all.

Can you get pseudoephedrine decongestants is Malta? It's helped many divers who couldn't equalize without it.

Some nasal sprays are indeed addictive. This article discusses that well. Nasal spray addiction: Is it real? - MayoClinic.com

thanks. I do not know offhand but will check. However I assumed (wrongly?) that mine was not an equalizing problem as I have no trouble in the water! Or is the pseudoephedrine decongestants useful for both pre-dive and post-dive?

thanks for that!

Last edited:
thanks. I do not know offhand but will check. However I assumed (wrongly?) that mine was not an equalizing problem as I have no trouble in the water! Or is the pseudoephedrine decongestants useful for both pre-dive and post-dive?

thanks for that!
It may not be needed, but it can help in equalizing - a tool to consider. It's also abused in making meth so some countries don't allow it.

If the nose spray you used was just saline/saltwater, there are no addiction risks. Some of the OTC sprays sold here are risky tho, and some have even burned holes in their noses from overuse. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom