Light Fins for Travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use Hollis F2's for travel and they seem to work very well. Very light and decent power for their size but don't expect F1 or SP jet power. Control for different kicks is fantastic.

---------- Post added October 8th, 2015 at 09:53 AM ----------

I currently own aqua lung super rockets and they are pretty hefty, but not very long fins. Will a lighter weight fin of equal length provide similar performance?

I am am kinda looking at Hollis f2's as I think they would travel better, and I would like a less negatively buoyant fin, but can you still put muscle behind them?

Yes, you can still put muscle behind the F2's to get power for current. Just don't expect the same power you get from turning on the power with Hollis f1's of SP jets. Travel wise they are great.

I bought a pair of F2's for travel funds. After a trip where there was moderate flow, I decided not to use them any more. I now bring my OMS Slipstreams with me. Worth the added weight and space!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I haven´t tried the F2, but I have tried the Mantaray, and they did not give proper propulsion. I had to use my arms to make any useful progress...

The Aeris/Oceanic Accel on the other hand, gives very close to the power of a Jet-fin, although it is a lot easier to kick.

I haven´t tried the F2, but I have tried the Mantaray, and they did not give proper propulsion. I had to use my arms to make any useful progress...

The Aeris/Oceanic Accel on the other hand, gives very close to the power of a Jet-fin, although it is a lot easier to kick.

The F2 is stiffer than the Mantaray.

Originally Posted by Hollis Gear Nick The F2 is a similar design to the APS Mantaray as Hollis now produces the fin, with some obvious changes. Material is now stiffer than the older Mantaray's and Six Gill's, we have also modified the tooling to include the F1 spring heel strap design. Its a solid fin that allows a wide variety of kicking styles. Personally my first question was thrust! However the F2 exceeded our expectations. Helicopter, Flutter and even Frog produce a nice stable kick with lots of thrust. Dont expect the same as the F1, there are some compromises with a smaller/shorter fin blade

---------- Post added October 8th, 2015 at 07:41 PM ----------

Another fin I have been looking at for a possible travel fin is the Cressi ARA EBS.

Cressi Scuba Fins Ara EBS professional scuba diving equipment gear computer regulator octopus wetsuit mask fin spearfishing

I travel with my F2's because they are very light, and pretty good, propulsion wise.

I am a bit disappointed that they aren't better though. I have dived in very strong current once, and another time had a chance to catch up with a Whaleshark last April in the Maldives. The F2's fell a little short of what some of my heavier fins would have delivered, but those have been the only times that I was dissatisfied.

I'd still highly recommend the F2 for air travel, as a light, workable alternative.

It sounds to me that a lot more divers like their Accels than F2's.

The F2 is stiffer than the Mantaray.

Originally Posted by Hollis Gear Nick The F2 is a similar design to the APS Mantaray as Hollis now produces the fin, with some obvious changes. Material is now stiffer than the older Mantaray's and Six Gill's, we have also modified the tooling to include the F1 spring heel strap design. Its a solid fin that allows a wide variety of kicking styles. Personally my first question was thrust! However the F2 exceeded our expectations. Helicopter, Flutter and even Frog produce a nice stable kick with lots of thrust. Dont expect the same as the F1, there are some compromises with a smaller/shorter fin blade

---------- Post added October 8th, 2015 at 07:41 PM ----------

Another fin I have been looking at for a possible travel fin is the Cressi ARA EBS.

Cressi Scuba Fins Ara EBS professional scuba diving equipment gear computer regulator octopus wetsuit mask fin spearfishing

Well, it may very well be, however, the core of the problem is the shape/area of the blade. When kicking very calmly (where the stiffness of the fin does not really matter) I did not get any sensible propulsion. And when increasing my effort it hardly gave any more speed (it did not feel as if the blade was bending, rather it felt like it was not "gripping" the water )

However, my experience of velocity was done inside a few fishfarm-nets, doing inspections, and it took a lot more time to do the inspections, with a lot more effort than it did wearing Jet-fins. I felt that I would not have been much slower without any fins at all... This was done wearing a 15l tank and a drysuit.

Well, it may very well be, however, the core of the problem is the shape/area of the blade. When kicking very calmly (where the stiffness of the fin does not really matter) I did not get any sensible propulsion. And when increasing my effort it hardly gave any more speed (it did not feel as if the blade was bending, rather it felt like it was not "gripping" the water )

However, my experience of velocity was done inside a few fishfarm-nets, doing inspections, and it took a lot more time to do the inspections, with a lot more effort than it did wearing Jet-fins. I felt that I would not have been much slower without any fins at all... This was done wearing a 15l tank and a drysuit.

I would never use the F2 with s drysuit. I would use it only as a warm water travel fin.

I love the F2 for travel to tropical and sub-tropical destinations where there's little current or where it's all drift diving. The compact size makes precision kicking a snap when I want to position myself by some tiny creature for a close look. The F2 got me through GUE Fundies class in a wetsuit and single-tank configuration like a champ--a large, heavy fin would have only added to the learning curve. My only complaint is the disproportionately large foot pocket, which doesn't fit snugly with tropical booties.

I am soon to acquire my first drysuit, and I am resigned to the fact that I will need heavier fins such as the F1 or Jet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom