Light cord question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tony387

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I own a Dive Rite MR11 canister light, and I just noticed a slight nick in the cord. As I said, it's very, very slight...but not knowing the thickness of the cord, I'm concerned. Just wondering if I need to have the cord replaced.

Thanks in advance.

Did you ask DiveRite? Or post on their forum? If not that's what I'd do, horses mouth and all that. FWIW my cord has a few nicks, not DR, it's been that way for years, so far no problem. Good luck.

I don't recall if on the mr11 the gland in the canister is sealed or not, and the answer depends a little on that.

I've got nicks and wear on my cables too, never had one leak. They seem to fail with the wiring inside before they leak, for me atleast.

Will check with DR...Thanks for the input.

If you can see the insulation of the conductors inside, it's too deep. That being said, even then, throw some rescue tape around it and an inch or so past the nick on either side and you'll be fine.

Also, there's no reason you can't replace the cable yourself. It's nothing but SOOW or SJOOW cable you can get from any Ace Hardware.

I own a Dive Rite MR11 canister light, and I just noticed a slight nick in the cord. As I said, it's very, very slight...but not knowing the thickness of the cord, I'm concerned. Just wondering if I need to have the cord replaced.

Thanks in advance.

Cords and glands are cheap compared to batteries and ballasts, and lost dives......

It's going to be pretty hard for any tech to advise you on the status of your cord without inspecting it.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom