Lifeguard bitten by sea lion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You beat me to it. Just saw the story on CH 7 news, and thought of you :D

Hey, Phil, call CH 7 and you'll be a STAR !!!

For a week I was getting emails from a Mrs. Pinniped Bottomtime telling me that her husband sent his goons after me, and that I owe her child support for our pups. :D

Here is the real story MaxBottomtime didn't want you to see... :eyebrow:

Lifeguard Bitten By Sea Lion

SANTA BARBARA — A lifeguard swimming off El Capitan State Beach was bitten three times by a sea lion.

Jim West, 50, a lifeguard at El Capitan for three decades, was wearing a brown wetsuit, appearing to many just like a female sea lion, about 50 yards offshore Monday when the sea lion bit him on the arms and right leg, state park spokeswoman Danita Rodriguez said.

"He was kind of shocked because this never happens," she said. "This is a very rare, random incident."

West swam bleeding to the beach, where he was bandaged and taken to Goleta Valley Cottage Hospital for stitches. By Monday night, he was enjoying hamburgers at a Fourth of July party with his friends. He stated that he would go right back out, after he had his brown wetsuit fixed, "I don't care what people think, I love these guys. My friend Phil, down in Torrance and I often dress up like female sea lions. Only recently have these guys (male sea lions) been getting upset and biting us."

"In my 31 years of life-guarding full time, I've never even heard of anything like this," retired lifeguard supervisor Greg White said.

After the incident, lifeguards called everyone wearing brown wetsuits out of the water for the day. Phil (from Torrance) was seen as one of the individuals being excorted out of the water wearing a brown wetsuits.

Marine Mammal Center director Peter Howorth said it may have been a Bull sea lion defending his territory. The peak pupping season for sea lions is the third week of June.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom