Life in the Middle East

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aujax

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just been wondering if anyone here is a foreigner living in the Middle East as a dive professional. If so, what are your general impressions of life in the Middle East? I understand that diving in the Red Sea is some of the best in the world, but do the cultural differences make things difficult for you, or do you find the opposite - that people are unusually friendly?

Thanks!
Aubrey

Yes, the diving is pretty good in the Red Sea, probably less so around Saudi than Egypt, but still decent. The general consensus amongst western instructors (and even my Syrian DM instructor), is that they would not want local students for differing reasons. Also, a male instructor would only be able to teach a local male student. As a general rule, the culture is such that unmarried/unrelated men & woment don't mix. Foreigners usually dive at "resort beaches" outside Jeddah, where people can go, dress as they like and socialize/dive.

I teach technical English to officers of the Saudi Arabian Air Defense Forces in Jeddah, where I am finishing up my DM course. It's not a culture that every expat can thrive in. It is a very closed and conservative culture, suspicious of outsiders. I sometimes feel that it's a combination of George Orwell and the movie Groundhog Day.

They want foreigners to come in and do the work for them, but often treat them poorly (particularly asian workers). There are no cinemas, few opportunities for women and employment, and no chance for freedom of religious expression. If you happened upon a local in a car accident or even diving accident, you would be advised not to stop and help, as you could catch part of the official blame, even though you did nothing to cause it. ON THE OTHER HAND, ...
.........for my family and I it has been a welcoming place (of sorts). The culture is definitely biased (positively) towards families and not bachelors. Every place has single sections and family sections. Because I have a family, I get viewed with "less suspicion" than if I were on my own. Both of my kids were born here in Kingdom. They are 8 yrs an 3 yrs old. They get treated really nicely. This not to say that it's sooooooooooooo easy living day to day, but if you (or anyone) wants to email me, I'd be happy to talk to you more. Ultimately, it's what you make of things, how you mentally filter your cross-cultural experiences. I could tell you just as many nasty stories involving other western expats here!!

The best way will be to come for a few weeks and try.

With all that is going on, especially what gets to the media, it looks much worse than it really is.

I not a diving professional, but I live here.

Ari

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom