Life after quitting smoking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My impetus to quit smoking was my 5 yr. old son pestering me about why I had such an unhealthy, smelly habit. So I told everyone around me that I was quitting and would be a miserable sob for awhile. I went cold turkey and had a difficult time wanting a smoke with coffee, stress, post-sex, booze, social events, etc, for about 6 mos. Then I became intolerant of smoking smells and a happy camper. I see no sense in substituting one unhealthy addiction for another, like vaping.

My impetus to quit smoking was my 5 yr. old son pestering me about why I had such an unhealthy, smelly habit. So I told everyone around me that I was quitting and would be a miserable sob for awhile. I went cold turkey and had a difficult time wanting a smoke with coffee, stress, post-sex, booze, social events, etc, for about 6 mos. Then I became intolerant of smoking smells and a happy camper. I see no sense in substituting one unhealthy addiction for another, like vaping.
Congrats on quitting cold turkey for your son - that's really admirable. Parenting can definitely provide great motivation to make positive changes. I'm glad to hear you made it through the tough 6 months and are now happily smoke-free. Thanks for sharing your experience too. You're right that it's best not to replace one addiction with another.

I have such a demeanor, that people rush to hand their babies to me
I would tell them I smoke and if the baby sucked my finger, it will die
years later I say the same thing, might grab some nicotine aftershave

Back
Top Bottom