Lies, corruption, unethicle and unsafe practices in Commercial Diving School

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PaulSmithTek:
I am still here, right! I can handle Critisim. But what ever. I appologize that I type so fast and my brain, works faster then my hands. I will slow down so people can understand what I am saying.

Thanks for the feed back.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Good one.
:D

DeepSeaDan:
The regulations in Ontario levelled the playing field, & Site Inspectors for the Ministry of Labour are out in force to insure compliance.

The States should be as lucky.

In other words, the government stepped in (at the behest of the larger commercial operators) and regulated what had previously been a free market, unilaterally driving the smaller businesses out of existence and increasing costs for everyone?

lairdb:
In other words, the government stepped in (at the behest of the larger commercial operators) and regulated what had previously been a free market, unilaterally driving the smaller businesses out of existence and increasing costs for everyone?

...they standardized commercial diving operations by creating minimum standards for personnel, equipment & other parameters, to insure a safe workplace for the working diver, thus eliminating those operators who cut corners, used unsafe working practices, hired unqualified personnel & used shoddy equipment...all in the name of profit.

...Who would you rather work for, mate?

Best,
D.S.D.

DeepSeaDan:
...they standardized commercial diving operations by creating minimum standards for personnel, equipment & other parameters, to insure a safe workplace for the working diver, thus eliminating those operators who cut corners, used unsafe working practices, hired unqualified personnel & used shoddy equipment...all in the name of profit.

...Who would you rather work for, mate?

Best,
D.S.D.
yeah we have that now
its a new group called OSHA

I can remember the days in plants and shops before OSHA.

Can you count to 10 with both hands????

the K

Diesel298:
yeah we have that now
its a new group called OSHA

...I can't say if the OSHA regs. go far enough with respect to working diving, I'd have to dive a little deeper into the document to decide...

D.S.D.

DeepSeaDan:
...I can't say if the OSHA regs. go far enough with respect to working diving, I'd have to dive a little deeper into the document to decide...

D.S.D.

You would be wasting your time. The regulation could be more stringent than CA but with little or no inforcement of the regulations it is meaningles. I don't think that the system has been reformed much over time but it used be all you had to do was bribe an inspector and you wouldn't see another one till next year MAYBE. One company I know of was able to avoid inspection for 7 years! And even then there was plenty of heads up before they arrived. Of course by that time everything was in tip top condition.

I started scuba diving back in Northern NY because a lot of people needed snowmobiles, ice fishing shanties, and other gear salvaged. My friend and I took a Naui/Ymca course and worked as freelance scuba divers perfoming light commercial work for friends and aquaintences,salvage, pool cleaning, ect. Over time we started to accumulate tools and equipment and the jobs got bigger. We were halfway through a dam inspection when we were approached by the company's lawyer wanting to check our insurance verification. That ended that gig. We looked into insurance but it was way too muchfor our little working "hobby" so we closed up shop. I was still interested in the real commercial dive industry and was lucky enough to attend "The College of Oceaneering" . Back in 86 you could choose you courses 'a la carte at the tune of around $3,000 a course. On offtime you could work for abalone boats, or hull cleaners.
The school did not have a dive shop for gear but recommended commercial dive shops in the LA aera. Most gave a discount if you had school ID. The school also had a lifetime referall for working divers. I specilized in dive medicine and that opened the door for me because insurance rates would drop if I was on board. I worked offshore in California, North Carolina, and the Gulf of New Mexico, plus others. The only working snags that I encountered was some of the dive companies I worked for (tenders with little or no experience tending, drunkeness, saftey issues that were desperate quick fixes). On the other hand I was able to work for some companies that had their crap together. East coast and the gulf generated poor pay, west coast generated higher pay, an Alaskan Commercial Diver with an enviromental ticket makes a pretty good living. But just as topside construction can be...commercial diving can dangerous moments and a cracker jack crew and equipment are great to have. As for my old dive business partner....He is 50 yr. making money diving for golf balls, cleaning up pools, salvaging cars ,snowmobiles and ice fishing shantys.

Back
Top Bottom