License for water taxi.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Derek M.

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi everyone. I just wanted to ask a quick question for future reference. What license do you need t run a water taxi. I have my USCG auxiliary boating license so what else do I need? any help is appreciated!

depends on whether your boat is inspected or if you want to carry more than 6 passengers.

You can operate an Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessel (OUPV), also known as a "6 pack" because of the limit of 6 max passengers without an inspection on your vessel.

Anymore passengers than that, you'll require a higher level license and a yearly USCG inspection.

Note: you'll also have to be 18 be issued a USCG license.

Good luck with your efforts :thumb:

EDIT:
I have my USCG auxiliary boating license

:headscratch: the Coast Guard Auxiliary issues boating licenses? They teach boater safety courses,etc... but don't think they issue "boating licenses". Maybe they do in your state in coordination with state boat licensing rules/laws... dunno.

In Massachusetts in the end of 2010 you need to have one of the USGC license to operate a boat longer than 15 ft but 45 ft and under if you own your own boat. I don't know why. Its only a Massachusetts law though, I think. Thank you for your reply!

In Massachusetts in the end of 2010 you need to have one of the USGC license to operate a boat longer than 15 ft but 45 ft and under if you own your own boat. I don't know why. Its only a Massachusetts law though, I think. Thank you for your reply!

a USCG license to operate a personal boat?

hmmmm.

According to the State of Massachusetts website, you just need a boater safety class.

see Massachusetts Boat and Recreation Vehicle Safety Bureau

and Commonwealth of Massachusetts

and Who May Operate a Vessel - Massachusetts Boating License Laws and Safety Guide

and Boating Law Summary

and How to Apply For a Boating License in Massachusetts | RMV

Hope this is helpful to you.

Of course this is for recreational boating. You'd still need a USCG captains license to operate commercially for carrying passengers.

USCG licenses are for operators that are for hire, vessel masters. The qualifications would be pretty stringent for pleasure boating.

The state may be requiring a USCG safety course but it unlikely they are requiring a USCG license (vessel master).

It would be like requiring a commercial pilots license to fly a private plane or a Class A truckers license to drive your car.

I guess you don't consider it a license. All I know is that my Dad had to get one to renew his slip at our boat club. Probably just for the yacht club. It wasn't necessary but it put him on the top off the transfer list to get a new slip. Thank you guys.

I guess you don't consider it a license.

Has nothing to do with us.... It's what is required by the state and/or the USCG.

neither of them consider it a license in Massachuttes. Just a "certification of completion" of a boater safety course. They don't require you have a real license.

Some states actually license boaters, some don't. Some require boater safety courses, some don't.

For example, my state requires a boaters license to operate a motorized boat. You have to take a boaters test at the DMV, or they will substitute passing an approved boaters safety course from the CG Auxiliary, the US Power Squadron, or the State Marine Police. We get an endorsement on our drivers license that says we are "vessel" endorsed. It's purely a recreational license and doesn't imply anything commercial about it. You still need a USCG issues license to carry passengers commercially.

Thank you guys.

No problem. Good luck with your water taxi venture. Should be fun for you.

Derek,

Here's the actual requirement for a "launch operator's" license from Title 46:

Section

You'll see that it's for limited service for a particular club, camp, or whatever, probably limited to the tonnage of their taxi or launch. Because it's a limited license, it's easier to get and has a "limited" exam. It does require a safe boating course, and first aid/CPR, so maybe that's what you're referring to.

Good luck.

In Massachusetts in the end of 2010 you need to have one of the USGC license to operate a boat longer than 15 ft but 45 ft and under if you own your own boat. I don't know why. Its only a Massachusetts law though, I think. Thank you for your reply

Not correct.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom