Level with me...how much do I REALLY need to spend on a reg and BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How much to spend depends on how much the OP wants to spend.

But I can say this, without a good BC, your dives suck. Yes, you can dive with a crappy BC. We've all done it. But it sucks.

For the reg, I was thinking about balanced pistons in the first and second stage (why do I think I sound like a goober right now and am talking about this stuff totally wrong?). And I figured I needed something with adjustable air flow. And since I'm new, I feel like the reg is loose in my mouth when I dive and I clamp down on it. So to minimize some of that, I was planning on something with a swivel hose (like a TUSA RS-340)

For the BC, I've heard about back inflation ones, which is really nice. But is it really necessary?

For the reg, I was thinking about balanced pistons in the first and second stage (why do I think I sound like a goober right now and am talking about this stuff totally wrong?). And I figured I needed something with adjustable air flow.

Some regs have a user-adjustable "Cracking Pressure" adjustment, which changes how hard it is to breathe as well as the regulator's tendency to free-flow.

It's a very nice feature, but not absolutely essential if you're trying to save money. Some regs have a "dive/predive" knob, which isn't necessary at all (you'll just need to be aware of where the reg is and what position it's in).

And since I'm new, I feel like the reg is loose in my mouth when I dive and I clamp down on it. So to minimize some of that, I was planning on something with a swivel hose (like a TUSA RS-340)
A swivel hose is completely unnecessary. All you need to do is position the tank so that the hose is parallel to the front of your face, and the reg should stay put.

You might want a better mouthpiece. Atomic has an excellent mouthpiece that fits a lot of regs, and SeaCure has one that you mold to fit just you, which is very secure.

For the BC, I've heard about back inflation ones, which is really nice. But is it really necessary?
No, it's not necessary. In fact, it's not necessarily even any better.

A "jacket" BC (like the SCUBAPro Classic) is stable in any position, but by definition won't try to keep you horizontal, while a back-inflate BC will tend keep you horizontal, at the expense of being more difficult to stay in other positions.

While the back inflate and "BP/W" crowd tends to be very vocal, nobody's opionion matters except yours. It's really a personal choice.

I'd suggest trying a couple of different styles in the pool and see what you like.

Terry

Fit is everything on a bc or wetsuit,I like the back inflate better but it is not a big difference. I have a jacket,back inflate and back plate and wing,the bpw I use for doubles and the back inflate for singles. I could dive my jacket just as well as my back inflate but prefer the back inflate,I think it trim easier and less clutter in front. If trying to stay on a budget I would look at good quality used equipment,after all you only get one dive on new equipment then it is used,how to decide what is good or not is the hard part for new divers. I like scuba pro regs but there are many other top notch regs. Ask on here if you find some you like and want to know more about it.

Some are easier to read than others.

To my point, does the depth and pressure gauge work the same on the surface as it does at say 30, 60, 90 or 120ft?

A regulator is a piece of equipment that would work great at low depths and could breath completely different at depth (balanced vs unbalanced).

A BC is a BC and once you find the style that is comfortable for you it also performs the same at depth.

I spent $200 on a complete used bcd/reg/octo/consol/tank... then spent another $100 on a hydro test and servicing the equipment... But I did end up spending $300 on a new computer.

look - $45 at Sports Challet gets you to rent all the equipment you need. If you are just looking for some bad ass adventures, spend your money on a mask, fins and snorkle... then start looking on craigslist for the other stuff. I would purchase a 7mm suit, hood, gloves, and booties after you purchase your own mask/snorkle/fin setup.

...............snip......A regulator is a piece of equipment that would work great at low depths and could breath completely different at depth (balanced vs unbalanced).
QUOTE]

A properly functioning reg should preform almost the same at any rec scuba depth. Balancing has nothing to do with depth, the function of balancing is to keep a reg breathing the same across the entire range of tank pressures reguardless of depth. Depth compensation keeps a reg breathing the same throughout the depth range. All regs used for scuba depth compensate.

...............snip......A regulator is a piece of equipment that would work great at low depths and could breath completely different at depth (balanced vs unbalanced).
QUOTE]

A properly functioning reg should preform almost the same at any rec scuba depth. Balancing has nothing to do with depth, the function of balancing is to keep a reg breathing the same across the entire range of tank pressures reguardless of depth. Depth compensation keeps a reg breathing the same throughout the depth range. All regs used for scuba depth compensate.

Bingo. With an unbalanced 1st stage, you'll notice an increase in breathing resistance as the tank gets low. This is not necessarily a bad thing for a new diver.

The unbalanced pistons are simple, bullet-proof regs (ScubaPro Mk-II, Mares Rebel are examples). If you are on a tight budget, they are just fine. If you have a little more money to play with, then look at the mid-range offerings.

Best wishes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom