Let's throw some money away!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just scanned a review of the SD630.......it is a nice unit

Soooooooo...............

Why not think about a nice strobe for now and then upgrade the camera/housing later......

The advantage of not shooting RAW is that you can immediately share the pictures.....

Not sure but if you can set aperture priority and tweak the white balance then I think you can get decent results........

Just a thought........M

I was under the impression there were no trays/arms that could fit the WP-DC3 housing? Otherwise that would make life far simpler! I'd love to buy trays, arms and a strobe and then just upgrade later.

Could you suggest some cheap trays? I also like the arms that can just be twisted into position instead of having to fiddle with dials and stuff. Also if I'm not gonna spend the $450 on a camera I could probably afford to buy a better strobe or two cheaper ones. Any tips?

I don't know about your WP-DC3 housing.......

Does it have a threaded hole on the bottom?

All the housings I recall having seen have this (WP-DC3 might not)........

The trays are adjustable.......

Below is my G9 housing and Sea&Sea tray/arm........

Hope this helps......M

P.S. this also shows the long lens snout that blocks the internal flash, the diffuser helps but not much........

Attachments

• IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    415.9 KB · Views: 60
As far as cheap trays......

Buy a strobe with a arm/tray combo......

Cheaper as a set........

M

Another thought.......

Even with all the strobes and fancy hardware it is tough to get good pictures....especially when you try to get a “wide area” shot with a P&S camera

So, many of my pictures are converted to the artistic black and white format.....:)

So after hours of frustrating post processing to get the color right, I just go to my neighborhood Kinney and print them in black and white.......

M

Jorgy, thanks again for the tips and patience!! My housing does have a threaded bottom so it should hold a tray. I feel kind of silly after taking up so much of your guys' time asking about the G10 only to keep my old camera and just get a strobe!

I was going to go with this YS-27 deal to start with, what do you think? Sea & Sea YS27 DX Strobe reviews and discounts, Sea & Sea
The only drawback is that I'd prefer the flexible arms, how cumbersome are those arms where you have to adjust knobs instead of just twist the strobe arm into position? Keeping in mind I'm diving in water where I have to wear 5mm thick gloves.

I know what you mean about black and white shots by the way! I must have tens of thousands of pictures and about 5 I've actually printed! Not very many results for such an expensive hobby! Why do we do it again? :)

The only drawback is that I'd prefer the flexible arms, how cumbersome are those arms where you have to adjust knobs instead of just twist the strobe arm into position? Keeping in mind I'm diving in water where I have to wear 5mm thick gloves.

I had a Sea and Sea tray for my P&S camera with a YS110 that I still have today, although I sold the tray and arms and now regret it. Never had a problem getting the arms adjusted with dry gloves on. Now working the tiny Canon camera buttons was a feat.

If it were me I would buy a nicer strobe and this tray with arms. Then when you do want to upgrade you are ready to go, dual strobes and all. Plus it will make the housing easier to handle with thick gloves on. Of course that is just my opinion.

No worries.......:)

SB is all about helping.......

And strobe or camera is not cheap, so asking questions is the right thing to do.....

I use dual Sea&Sea YS-110's myself, never tried the 27 but the arm and tray are the same as I have and they work well.......

ScubaToys is a great vendor........

Many on SB like INON strobes......

M

Might wanna consider Lumix TZ7, (or TZ6).

I believe it satisfies all your requirements except it doesn't shoot in RAW

Using the internal strobe underwater is a total waste of time.
A huge advantage of Ike over the cannon housing is you can't do any maintenance on the canon housing. All the controls come apart on the ike housing so you can clean, lube and change o rings. The only caveat to that is, what camera now-a-days lasts longer than a maintenance interval? Sad but true. Yes, check to see wide lens capability with the Ike housing -not all take them AND I don't consider 0.7 to be a wide lens -who needs that much more. I don't see why you can't run a new FO strobe with a canon housing -just block the light from the cam well. I also can't see why you can't add a hot shoe to a canon (or any other) housing if the hot shoe fits inside. Gosh -you might have to cut, solder and paste...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom