Let's throw some money away!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a G9 with Canon housing - I can make all the adjustments underwater. Some take two steps to toggle a button over to another functionion.....

I first started with just the internal flash and got OK pictures......

One of the real keys to underwater photography is light and lots of it, I added one strobe then a second, now I can get some real pictures (at least I like them, but I still delete at least 3 of every 4 shots)........I am so glad it is all digital, so deleting is painless....:)

Personally I think it is the strobes that elevate the quality of the pictures.......P&S cameras don't have the speed of focus or the low light noise free sensitivity that a DSLR has

Buy the camera you like and use it, then add the strobes as money becomes available.

M

Dumb question, what is TTL shooting?QUOTE]

Not a dumb question at all. TTL means "through the lens" and refers to the camera metering it's exposure and flash settings based on light readings taken by the sensor directly through the lens. Apparently, on the G10 and G11 if you shoot in full manual mode setting your shutter speed and aperture yourself, you have to use manual settings for strobe power as well. The camera will only send signal to the strobe to flash. It won't tell the strobe how long to flash for.
Many underwater photographers prefer manual settings anyway, and some seldom change their strobe power. The lower priced strobes are often manual only, such as the YS-27. You can adjust their distance or aim to change the light level, or you can up your shutter speed or shrink your aperture to let in less light if you choose to fire them on full power as some do. The alternative is to let the camera do the metering by putting it in "P" mode or the equivalent, where you set the relationship between shutter speed and aperture size and the camera automatically sets the metering for the best overall light. Generally, point and shoot cameras are not optimized for taking advantage of varying conditions underwater, so most experienced UW photographers choose to set their own shutter and aperture based on previous results and ambient conditions and either use manual settings on the strobe or let the camera meter the light through a preflash reading-ttl.
PS: I'm into my $249 Oly SP350 about $2500 at this point including two strobes, mounting arms, ttl converters, sync cords, add-on lenses for wide angle and close-up, color filters..... Entering the world of UW photography is a slippery slope. That's why they make X-mas and birthdays!!!

I created an underwater camera chart that will help you look at some compact camera options.

I think Jorgy made some good points about light. If you want some inexpensive strobes I saw some made by Intova, I haven't personally used them, but the specs look decent. I believe Jack Connick sells them.

If you enjoy macro and will not get a strobe right away, be very very sure that the housing you get will not block the internal flash at all. I know the Ikelite G10 housing partially blocks it, but I'm not sure about the Canon housing.

good luck,
Scott

Not the G10 but the G9.............

Two issues I noticed:

With the Canon housing the flash is partially blocked by the longer port so you get "shadows" from the internal flash........so to overcome this you pull back from the subject and zoom in....but that creates the second issue.......

The further back from the subject the more water between you and the subject and hence the more particles in the water - since the flash is very close to the lens particles show up as bright white specks on your picture (as the light is flash is reflected directly back into the lens) you can remove them in post process but it is a pain........

That is why you see rigs with lonnnggg arms to get the strobes off the sides......

As far as I am concerned the internal flash only has one function - use it to trigger your strobes........

If I owned a G10 without strobes I would us it in shallow dives with ambient light only......

The thumbnails below are from the Red Sea no strobe........

M

Another option is to rent a strobe when you go on dive trips........

Attachments

• Red Coral.jpg
    Red Coral.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Glass Fish.jpg
    Glass Fish.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 39
I am now completely at a loss decision-wise.

Is there an alternative camera that has good megapixels, good manual abilities that will shoot well with just a cheap-o Canon underwater housing but retains the options of adding a strobe later?

You could go with the S90 instead of the G10/G11. It doesn't have a hotshoe, but neither does the Canon housing, so you have to use optical flash signal anyway. It has a faster f2.0 lens. It fits in your pocket. It does RAW, has full manual settings. It costs about as much as the G10/G11 and has similar +/- in terms of controls. There are lots of reviews out there. The flash is pop-up type, so it's a little more away from the lens, but you'll still get backscatter from any built in flash and unless the lens is internal focus type, they always block the light on really close shots.

Larry, having seen all the things that I want in a camera, would you say that the S90 and G10/G11 are the best options for what I'm looking for? Thank you again for your continued help!

I shoot with the Canon G9 in the canon housing. I have added SeaLife optically triggered strobe (around $350). The G series (now G10/G11) are fantastic cameras in a small format. They allow RAW data acquisition, complete manual control, white balance control, large LCD screen for review and are reasonably priced. The only issue I have had is using manual control of the camera and of the strobe. Too many things that can be adjusted....should I change the f-stop, shutter speed, strobe intensity.....not a problem when shooting lobster, moray at cleaning station or other relatively sedentary subjects. Maybe that's why I have so many pics of flamingo tongues!

Good luck choosing. You may be able to find a G9 or G10 at a reduced price. If your budget is total $600 without the strobe you'll be pushing it with the G11 and housing.

Just got the S90 for my darling bride - awesome camera..........

Works way better than my G9 in low light situations........and half the size......

Now I trying to hatch to plan to get the Canon underwater housing for it and take it away from her..........:)

Wish me luck........

M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom