Let's start a weekly photo theme.... today let's all post Splendid Toadfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Picture102.jpg
Not the best but it is a picture. This is what happens with the first trip with a camera and strobe. You have to adjust.

Last edited:
I am curious if anybody can answer this question. Some photos show their eyes as cloudy and white while others show clear, normal looking eyes. In humans this is a result of cataracts, do the cloudy eyes indicate age or cataracts in these toad fish? Silly question, but I figured this would be the ideal thread to post this inquiry.

I wonder if this is a result of lighting or perspective? I notice that this happens with Scorpionfish as well.

I saw a toadfish in Roatan (nowhere near as splendid as the Cozumel variety, needless to say) but again, it was in its hole. I've never seen either variety free-swimming. I had no idea they were so huge and so LONG! Wow!

Edited to add: I just looked up toadfishes in my Humann Deloach Fish ID. None of them appear to grow more than 12 inches. What gives? Is this a case of everybody looking bigger on film?

yeah, I saw that in the book too and think they are nuts. The toadfish I see in Cozumel are usually around 8-10" long. The one I saw in Roatan had to be closer to 18-24" long and easily as big around as a melon.
There are many fish I have seen that are definitely bigger than stated in the Deloach books though, not just this one.

robin

Photos and Silver Pins

We love these fish. So much so my husband made me a couple of pins. He's made at least one pin for each of our favorite sea critters. Also, here's three of his photos. I have video somewhere. Click to enlarge.

ToadFishPinA.jpgToadFishPinB.jpgToadFishPhoto.jpgToadFishPhoto2.jpgToadFishPhoto3.jpg

Is this a splendid toadfish? It looks like coral toadfish to me. I could be wrong though. I didn't think the splendid had the yellow on the fins.

Yes, Splendid toadfish has yellow markings on his black & white striped body. It's the only toadfish with yellow, I believe. The one's in Belize are just black and white, and the ones in Roatan are just fuggly brown-black mottled color.

robin

Everything I find states that both coral toadfish and splendid toadfish are Sanopus splendidus - the same species.

I haven't seen one with the yellow on it around Cozumel. I looked it up and saw one with all the yellow on it that had it named a Coral Toadfish. I stand corrected. I thought the Splendid was endemic to the waters around Cozumel. Maybe the ones I have seen aren't splendid after all. Though seeing one is certainly a splendid experience.

IMG_0003.jpg

Hopefully not too amateurish for this thread. Some nice pics out there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom