Lets see what happens with this statement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gregor,
If you have teams that have a common kit configuration, similar training/attitude and are careful who they dive with then a 3 person team can work very well (UP already mentioned how lights can be used as communication).

Where 3 person teams don't work is often that you have a buddy team plus AN Other (who might not be known to the buddy team) and who dives differently to the pair but which is not known until they are in the water. The difference is the degree of coordination/communication that takes place before, during and after the dive.

Uncle Pug:
That is why we use HID lights for continuous passive communication between members of the dive team.

We do a similar thing amongst my dive buddies, nice to keep an eye on the torch beam as well as doing the usual check out of your buddy.

The main statement is true - I've timed how long buddies keep between looks before. Sometimes the time is shocking. And I must admit at times I've been guilty of this too.

Who said it?

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

I think the only time Gary does it is with a rope! :D

Gary D.:
The comment that "They were there when I last looked", indicates that buddy contact was not a constant condition of the dive. To be effective buddy
contact between two divers must be a continuous, ongoing condition of the
dive. Buddy contact that is "checked" every few minutes is, at best, poor.
Unfortunately, this interrupted and non-continuous method of "buddy-diving"
is more common than many divers would like to admit. It is difficult to
criticize the survivor of poor diving practices in cases such as this
because his position is one of "a lost friend". This less-than-optimum
buddy-system is an error of omission which is common among most sport
divers. In short, "human error" is probably more to blame than negligence.

If a diver was self-reliant then the "buddy system" would no longer be needed. With the "buddy system" no longer needed, the need to place blame would no longer be required.

The buddy system is a system that does not exclude divers within it who are self-reliant.
Discuss? :)

dbulmer:
The buddy system is a system that does not exclude divers within it who are self-reliant.
Discuss? :)

You are absolutely correct. However, it seems to me that the "buddy system" is becoming more of a crutch and a way to place blame instead of accepting responsability for yourself and actions. This is nothing new in our society. We have always found it easier to blame someone other than ourselves.

Rec Diver:
However, it seems to me that the "buddy system" is becoming more of a crutch and a way to place blame instead of accepting responsability for yourself and actions. This is nothing new in our society. We have always found it easier to blame someone other than ourselves.
"BINGO"

My thoughts as a newbie:

The idea of "team diving" appeals to me far more than a buddy. When I read of explorations where one guy has the reel, one guy has the SMBs, another guy has something else, you are FAR more likely to be sure to keep an eye on each other, even if not primarly trained to do so.

When everyone has all gear to be self sufficient, and self-rescue, the impetus to keep tight reins on the other parties is lost, and it then becomes a matter of training.

To me, it all comes back to the idea of why we dive. Dive teams seemingly have some significant purpose for being in the water. They want to explore a cave passage, or they want to explore a section of that wreck they found. Recreational divers want to "swim around" or look at fish. Not saying that the latter is less a reason to dive, but the dives demand less from each member of the team. As the demands lessen, it's not hard to see why the attention lessens as well.

There is great irony in that the divers with the most experience, and who are best able to effect self-rescue, are usually the ones who take the most care in not becoming seperated from their dive partners.

Sorry, these are just my ramblings.

PerroneFord:
There is great irony in that the divers with the most experience, and who are best able to effect self-rescue, are usually the ones who take the most care in not becoming seperated from their dive partners.
Great observation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom