Let's chat about DSLR vs Point and Shoot - looking for some wisdom / experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had one but sold it so I could get the D850.
Any suggestion as to where to sell the unit? Ive been out of the scene for years so have no idea even of its value so wouldnt even know where to begin. Do you think asking $4k for the entire setup is reasonable??

Attachments

• IMG_6429.jpg
    IMG_6429.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6430.jpg
    IMG_6430.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6491.jpg
    IMG_6491.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6492.jpg
    IMG_6492.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6494.jpg
    IMG_6494.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 4
Long story short, in the years you've been away, the market has changed substantially. The basic P&S market is completely dead, taken over by phones. Premium compact cameras such as Canon G7 X series, Sony RX100 series, Panasonic LX10/LX100, etc, are still surviving, but they've got certain limitations that I will go over later in more detail. DSLRs have pretty much reached their pinnacle, and are gradually being taken over by mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras.
Bumping this thread for the same reason it was first posted several years ago.
I've dived my Sony RX100 II for five years now (it's listed in Classifieds), and am looking for advice. The mirrorless market has exploded, but I don't know what I don't know. Decades of land photo experience (Canon 5D and Nikon DSLR) but only a few years underwater.

Here's my conundrum:
Love both macro and wide angle, so bought the RX100 with flip-out wet diopter. The wet +15 lens killed my macro depth of field despite the advantages of the Sony's reduced sensor size (1"). My YS-D1's don't permit TTL on the RX100 (arrgh!), but some folks say manual exposure and manual focus are what's needed for macro. My wide angle isn't wide enough.

Is there any way to get modest "best of both worlds"?

Was looking at the Backscatter Olympus OM-D E-M10 and maybe conceding "best of both worlds" in favor of two lenses and a dedicated mode for each dive...

I'm looking for a variety of opinions. Budget is not limited, but I'm not really interested in wrangling a monstrous housing for a large full frame camera. Love my Nauticam, but you'd have to convince me on the camera to get me to plunk down $3-6k on the housing.

Can I stimulate a brief argument over favorites? Or a referral to another thread that's already discussed this? T-6 isn't fully manual, so that's out.
I don't know what I don't know.

Was looking at the Backscatter Olympus OM-D E-M10 and maybe conceding "best of both worlds" in favor of two lenses and a dedicated mode for each dive...
I got an OM10 Mark 1 with Nauticam housing 10 years ago and have used it all over the world. I bought two bodies because I figured one would fail on me. I still have two working bodies.
Been through multiples lenses and ports. My go-to now is a 14-42mm with a WWL-wet lens; Superwide, super sharp corner to corner, and can zoom through it for modest macro. It it is a real macro dive (think Anilao) then it is a 30 or 60 mm.
For the sort trip with no weight allowances (like Little Cayman) it is a TG-6 with a Backscatter 120deg wide wet ens that I can zoom through for modest macro. I dislike the TG-6 in many ways, but you can't beat the portability.

For the short trip with no weight allowances (like Little Cayman) it is a TG-6 with a Backscatter 120deg wide wet lens...
Yeah, my buddy used the TG-6 in Anilao, and I was really envious of his macro shots. Very compact setup and yet great definition. But the limitations on camera controls makes me anxious about using it as my primary.
Thanks for the tips!

Somebody tell me why the Olympus is a bad decision, eh?

RX-100 II, Anilao
DSC03414.JPG

DSC04275.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom