Lessons to be learned-Death in Palau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

detroit diver:
triton94949:
Me thinks you have your priorities a bit mixed up. The mask was not the issue, nor was the buddy (although that may have helped). She anchored herself to an object 40 feet below the surface with a reef hook and couldn't ascend. You can ascend w/o a mask and without a buddy. You can even ascend without a BC and fins. But not if you're attached to a rock and can't release yourself, for whatever reason.

Detroit Diver.....................I am in 100% agreement and couldn't have said it any better myself.

Albion:
Theres actually plenty of Lifeless rocks down there to hook onto without bothering the corals, sponges and other inamimate life forms. .

There have been many justifiable complaints here about the hooks and destruction of coral, sponges etc. But in regards to your term, "lifeless rocks": they don't exist under the sea, unless it's been a few hours since it was first submerged. They may not have visible coral or hydrozoans but they have life. Microscopic bacteria, algae, fungal spores etc. If you continue to hook onto these diverse ecosystems, I'm calling PETA. (how do you inset those little smiles faces anyway?)

Just a general statement and question. I see a lot of divers with their masks on too loosely. As soon as they reach the surface they are able to pull the mask down below their chins to hang around their necks. That seems, to me anyway, to be too loose and makes the mask easier to get blown off in very strong or ripping current. Would the poor diver in question not have had her mask ripped off if she had it on a bit tighter, thus avoiding the escalation of panic and death?

More masks leak due to being on too tightly than too loose. Also a mask thats too tight can cause discomfort, im some cases bruising and headaches to boot. A good fitting mask is one that is JUST tight enough not to leak. Mask on the chin is the correct way to "wear" it on the surface - you want to be able to pull it there without stress or risking breaking the strap.

String:
More masks leak due to being on too tightly than too loose. Also a mask thats too tight can cause discomfort, im some cases bruising and headaches to boot. A good fitting mask is one that is JUST tight enough not to leak. Mask on the chin is the correct way to "wear" it on the surface - you want to be able to pull it there without stress or risking breaking the strap.

Yeah, too tight is the other extreme but I'm talking a bit tighter so it's snug, which I THINK might make it less likely to get blown off on strong current.

ON the surface I keep my mask on till I ascend the ladder or on the boat.

By the way, where was the husband that he could not see her condition? I just emailed this to a diver co-worker and he asked that question .They were buddies, weren't they?, he asked. Yeah, I guess so, I said. Now I'm confused. Where the heck was this guy?

Even in the currents here i rarely see a mask lost due to them. By far the most common loss method is people losing one on entry into the water.
Ive seen masks dislodged in strong currents so that they flood if someone turns their head sideways to a current but even then it doesnt come off the head so i dont think its a problem.

String:
Even in the currents here i rarely see a mask lost due to them. By far the most common loss method is people losing one on entry into the water.
Ive seen masks dislodged in strong currents so that they flood if someone turns their head sideways to a current but even then it doesnt come off the head so i dont think its a problem.

I wonder if we can learn something here? If we know it's real strong current and we must turn around, down current, would it not help to hold your mask to your face, as we do on entry??

Most people i know already do if its that strong.

pilot fish:
By the way, where was the husband that he could not see her condition? I just emailed this to a diver co-worker and he asked that question .They were buddies, weren't they?, he asked. Yeah, I guess so, I said. Now I'm confused. Where the heck was this guy?

He was hooked on to the reef with his own reef hook either a short distance up-current or down-current of her just like everyone else. Flying solo like a kite in the wind, again, just like everybody else. Where do you think he would be? There was no way he, nor anybody else could get to her in time. That's given.

From what I’ve hear, everybody did everything that they could. If you buddy unhooks, chances are, that they're or anyboudy else is not going to be able to fight the current to get to you. As I said before, as soon as you hook in, your on your own and solo diving without a buddy. And that, IMHO, is the real root cause of the accident.

Back
Top Bottom