Lessons Learned this weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wanted to praise you on your posting. Each negative experience teaches us some lessons and makes us a better diver. I think it took me almost 100 dives before I felt I was a competent diver. It is these experiences that are so important. It is great that you figured out what the problem was and corrected it in what sounds like a calm manner. It will make you a better diver. There are always those who can't understand how someone could "screw up" like that. Personally I am not sure how they can even descend on a dive, because they obviously walk on water!! I have never dived NC before, but am looking forward to this in the future!

Bob

Bob:

I could not have said it better myself. I have been working on my perfecting of everything, but I have yet to work out all the kinks. I had a few choice words going though my head at the time, but this did not linger to ruin my dive.

Thanks again,

Desi

I wanted to make just one last response to this thread, I hope. Looking back on this trip and everyones response about calling the dive due to it being beyond my ability. I respect everyones post. Looking back, I do not feel that the dive was beyond my ability, yes there were some chanllenges, and I do realize there are times that we can get in over our heads. But, once I got through the hard part, everything else was pretty normal. I think that much of the hard things in life are more of a mind set. I had my mind set that this dive could be a little chanllenging, so I was prepared for that. I do not think diving is any different, we set our minds to it and things sometimes fall into place. I would also add, that before hand, all three of us physically prepared ourselves. We had been going to the Y 3 times a week, working out, lifting weights, swimming, running, water aerobics, we had taken on better eating habits and lost weight, yes, even the daughter. Her program for weight lifting is pretty remarkable at times. Leg lifts at 180 pounds. There were days that I would follow her on her workout and she would set my weight limits on machines according to her limits and I could not move it. This was not something that we went into without any preperation. Both physically and mentally. Which I think that many of us should do. And, no, we have not stopped the fitness thing since we got back.

Thanks for everyones response!

I placed a post here several weeks ago when my son and I were doing a shore dive in Massachusetts and had some trouble. I learned some lessons about watching tides more etc, but some of the posts were let us say "less than kind". I think that newer divers can learn something from these posts, but might be intimidated by the flaming. If I can help even one diver to avoid or at least recognize some problem, then it is well worth the flames.

Bob

I know what you are talking about. Was my thinking when I posted this, as I said, what happened never crossed my mind as a potentinal issue. I worried about getting hit with it. But, not what happened. I agree, if even one person gets something from this, then all the Nasty Nellie's have been worth it.

Edit: I didn't realize I had duplicated info from someone else. I reckon ignore lists have their disadvantages, too.

NC ocean diving is for big boys and girls. My opinion is lots of experience before taking a giant stride into the NC waters. Currents can turn on a dime. You better be on top of your game and certainly have AOW and lots of quarry-time first. Also the point made of LISTEN and follow the briefing. These guys know their stuff. No guided tours like in the tropics. And 6 foot seas are a go. Also don't be surprised if you go out the day after a hurricane. Use the experience to hone your skills.

Note to JFB: How would one know about a repeat post if one REALLY had a person blocked. (I don't believe everything I read)

NC ocean diving is for big boys and girls. My opinion is lots of experience before taking a giant stride into the NC waters. Currents can turn on a dime. You better be on top of your game and certainly have AOW and lots of quarry-time first. Also the point made of LISTEN and follow the briefing. These guys know their stuff. No guided tours like in the tropics. And 6 foot seas are a go. Also don't be surprised if you go out the day after a hurricane. Use the experience to hone your skills.

I always have to laugh when I read/hear this now. Sure, NC diving is no joke, but no diving condition I have experienced is a joke. Sure, some areas can have less challenging dives, but all diving is challenging for different reasons--everyone likes to think they dive especially difficult situations which make them more of a diver than other people, and I dont think that NC is particularly more challenging than anywhere else. NC just has some unique conditions in some instances.

If you want to be a good diver you need experience and lots of it in lots of different conditions. Gotta take the giant stride some time.

Note to JFB: How would one know about a repeat post if one REALLY had a person blocked. (I don't believe everything I read)

Easy: I saw that someone else referenced something in the other persons post and curiosity got the best of me. I also don't believe everything I read. It's a good policy.

I always have to laugh when I read/hear this now. Sure, NC diving is no joke, but no diving condition I have experienced is a joke. Sure, some areas can have less challenging dives, but all diving is challenging for different reasons--everyone likes to think they dive especially difficult situations which make them more of a diver than other people, and I dont think that NC is particularly more challenging than anywhere else. NC just has some unique conditions in some instances.

If you want to be a good diver you need experience and lots of it in lots of different conditions. Gotta take the giant stride some time.

Diving NC is certainly not like diving in the islands but open ocean diving is challenging no matter where you do it. In my experience VA Beach diving is generally more challenging than Morehead City diving. You have the same sea conditions, and same long boat rides but cold water, more current, and crappy viz. You might find that after you've done a bit of diving up there, you start to relish the "easy" conditions that we have South of Hatteras.

Last edited by a moderator:
tddfleming, Let me just say that you did exactly the right thing. Hiring a guide in an unfamiliar situation is just good sense. Having an inside to the information I also know you guys did very very well on your dives. My comment about the wave heights is if you have a concern ask the crew. The vast majority of people over estimate the size of waves and once back on the safety of the dock like to "upsize" to impress the next group with their prowess. I don't know of a single captain in Morehead City who would venture out in anything like I hear estimated all the time. Anything over 4' and under 6 or 8 seconds is just to uncomfortable for anybody, and the crews want you to have a good time and come back. Passenger safety is paramount here. I hope you'll come back soon and have the opportunity to see some of the other worldclass wrecks and ledges.
Mike

tddfleming, Let me just say that you did exactly the right thing. Hiring a guide in an unfamiliar situation is just good sense. Having an inside to the information I also know you guys did very very well on your dives. My comment about the wave heights is if you have a concern ask the crew. The vast majority of people over estimate the size of waves and once back on the safety of the dock like to "upsize" to impress the next group with their prowess. I don't know of a single captain in Morehead City who would venture out in anything like I hear estimated all the time. Anything over 4' and under 6 or 8 seconds is just to uncomfortable for anybody, and the crews want you to have a good time and come back. Passenger safety is paramount here. I hope you'll come back soon and have the opportunity to see some of the other worldclass wrecks and ledges.
Mike

Mike:

Thanks and I am guessing you spoke to Ashlynn (sp) as she still wanted to DM and not drooling after us:) She was very nice. I saved Monday for my Sand dollar venture, did not want to add any more into the dive, just enjoy it and learn as much as we could. We will be back, for sure. I hope you had a good time on your dive trip??? After I wrote this, I started the think about what people were saying about the sea. Thats what they were saying, but I am not convinced that that is what they really are. I would not know a 5' wave from a 3' wave, I just know when things are not flat like a lake. i think you may be right in people making things bigger than what they reall are. I just know that what ever they were we were not feeling great for the ride and Monday was much easier as far as the waves goes. Plus we hooked up the other guide by telling Ashlynn thathis person he was taaking out had all his gear being hooked up wrong. Felt a little like a tattle tale, but better to have his gear fixed there than to find out after you are in the water. I asked about you while there but learned that there are a lot of Mikes there. Thanks again!

Desi

Back
Top Bottom