Lessons learned from first time boat dives in Monterey Bay, CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To be brutally honest with you, a great many dive professionals would not pass the entry-level class for the agency I work with.

Wow, glad I am not in that situation- I feel throughly spoiled.

I have to say my instructors have been patient and professional (and tough), the least having 500 dives, and the most 5,000+ dives, and all but one of the six instructors are cave or technical divers and instructors. Many of my dives are with one of this group as my Buddy, and half the time these days my Buddy is the 5,000+ diver.

They continue to be patient with me, constantly assisting me when needed with gentle advise and showing enthusiasm for my many questions. I am starting the DiveCon training, and can't wait to DiveCon for any of them and to keep learning.

I know GUE is tough, but in my humble opinion any of them would do well on the fundies.

Terry

Also,, can u pin down the specific area of Cannery Row so I can use my tide app?? I also want to research the entry and local area.

Thanks!

Cannery Row is only a few blocks long and all have similar tide information. Go to Monterey & Carmel Underwater Maps for some more dive site information. There are several entry points in that area.

If you are new to the Monterey area and want to have an easy entry and see lots of life I would suggest San Carlos Beach/Breakwall/Breakwater/Coast Guard Jetty (it's all the same place). Big grassy area, fresh water shower, short steps down to the beach, few rocks, smallest surf of anywhere on the Bay side, easily avoidable kelp, and PLENTY of life along the jetty wall. Make sure you go out past the classes before descending - the viz usually is better. There is also 2 dive shops in walking distance (with the tanks) for refills.

Once you have dove Breakwall, then go to any of the 4 local dive shops and get a map and talk about other sites. Also Breakwall is a fantastic night diving spot.

I am waiting to hear about dive number 3.. thanks for posting so others can learn from your experience:)

Back
Top Bottom