Lesson's Learned...Cayman Death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Not sure where to post this but, "Lesson's Learned" seems like the proper forum...please let me know if I should cross post it since I am a total Newbie here!

We found out Sunday evening a good friend and my daughter in-laws Dad lost his life in a diving accident in Cayman. Personally, I find it pretty darn sad when a family learns more about their loved ones death on the Internet then personally from the local authorities.

Not only are these kids dealing with the sudden death of their Dad, who is single, who left no Will, insurance or assets (we are aware of now), but, they are getting no help or advise from anyone (local authorities, American Consulate, etc.).

If anyone has had experience or knows someone who has dealt with a diving death in Cayman that is willing to share their experience with us could you please PM me...I hope this site has a PM feature.

My intentions are not to bring up old wounds but, learning what these kids should expect and possibly what one would have done differently had they had the chance to do it all over again. All these kids want to do is bring their Dad home and have closure. Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

Susie in Colorado Springs

I would say contact the State department, they should be able to help. My condolences to the family.

Mike

Cayman Islands
Dorothy Duggan is the consular agent in the Cayman Islands, and she is available to assist American citizens in the Cayman Islands.
Address: Unit 222, Mirco Center, North Sound Road
Georgetown, Grand Cayman
Tel: (345)945-8173; (876)702-6000 for after-hours emergency
Fax: (345)945-8192
E-mail: consagency@candw.ky
Office Hours: Monday, Wednesday, Friday 8:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.

Death or Injury of an American Citizen Abroad
http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/tips/emergencies/emergencies_3878.html

Perhaps it might be useful to retain legal counsel in Cayman. I don't know, but perhaps a local attorney could help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom