Less buoyancy please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By the way, do you dive backmount because your situation would seem like a common indication to try sidemount?

I have never used a sidemount as I couldn't see how that would effect the over all weight.

I have never used a sidemount as I couldn't see how that would effect the over all weight.

it's a bit easier on the back to carry one tank at a time to the water's edge or leave them on an equipment line off the stern of the boat.

Hi, Welcome to our fantastic UK diving.

You don't say where your based.

As has been said there is a tendency for students to be over-weighted. Often deliberately so be their instructor as it makes their live easier. I spend quite a lot of time removing lead from new divers so they are correctly weighted - the benefits are: better air consumption, minimised trim issues, more enjoyable dive (as you’re not constantly inputting/dumping air). You should be weighted so that with an dearly empty cylinder you can still hold a stop at 6m.

Going back to basics – you only need lead to counter the up-thrust of your body and equipment's inherent positive buoyancy. The more insulation you require, either neoprene or under-suit the more lead you will need. For example. I have 12Lt 300Bar (mass 17Kg) and 12Lt 232Bar (mass 13.5Kg) cylinders, the difference between the two dead weight (mass) is 3.5Kg, therefore I have to add the 3.5Kg when I dive the 232s.

See if you can try some dry-suits before you buy to experience the different buoyancy characteristics.

BSAC run Buoyancy & Trim Workshops (link), why not give one a go. They’re just as useful to a wet-suit diver as dry-suited ones. [shameless plug] I’m running one on 12th October on Loch Fyne.[/shameless plug]

Kind regards

Thanks Doppler, you make a good point. I may well have a look at a sidemount.

Edward3c, I am based in Kent and dive with a local club here called Dive Matters. The instructors have been great, giving me plenty of advice, coaching and tips even when I just meet up with them on a dive. I am finding that I am able to shed more weight the more I dive which I have put down to me being a bit more relaxed and breathing better but I know I still have plenty of learning to do.

Thanks for the advice.

Hi Doppler, I just thought I would let you know that I took your advice and headed down to Dorset to visit the team at OThree and ended up purchasing a Ri 2-100. A very professional bunch who spent hours with me answering all my dumb questions, they were definitely more interested in me buying the right product rather than maximizing their profits. Thanks

Hi Doppler, I just thought I would let you know that I took your advice and headed down to Dorset to visit the team at OThree and ended up purchasing a Ri 2-100. A very professional bunch who spent hours with me answering all my dumb questions, they were definitely more interested in me buying the right product rather than maximizing their profits. Thanks

Pleased to hear it... Did you meet Sean or Marcus at all? Anyhow, great team down there and you will enjoy the suit... now to get you into sidemount! LOL

The guy I dealt with was Josh, a very knowledgeable individual. The dry suit is due to arrive next week, no doubt I will end up wearing about the house for a couple of hours first (doesn’t everybody do that?) before arranging some training. I can’t wait to get into some frigid water around the UK. With regards to the sidemount, I think my wife may divorce me if I ‘invest’ in more kit any time soon.

it's a bit easier on the back to carry one tank at a time to the water's edge or leave them on an equipment line off the stern of the boat.

another advantage is that it is easier to put them down on the ground if you need to take a break during the hike than with back mount.

Back
Top Bottom