Less buoyancy please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Old grouch

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
As I live and dive in the UK it’s inevitable that I am going to need a dry suit but I could do with a little advice. Due to an unfortunate incident in my youth I now suffer from Osteoarthritis in both ankles, I can get about OK and diving in general is no problem until I have to climb the ladder back into the boat or walk back to the car with all my gear. I can just about manage it in a wet suit but I know I am going to have to carry more weight if I dive with a wet suit. Can anybody tell me which type of dry suit I could carry the least extra weight with, from the research I have done it looks like a crushed neoprene drysuit is the way to go?

I dive crushed neoprene and use the same weight I use with a wetsuit. If you need more, you could always hand your weightbelt up to someone on the boat or make two trips to the car.

Are your local boats side mount friendly? If so, you could unclip the tank and hand it up to them and then climb up without it. That would dump about 35lbs.

As I live and dive in the UK it’s inevitable that I am going to need a dry suit but I could do with a little advice. Due to an unfortunate incident in my youth I now suffer from Osteoarthritis in both ankles, I can get about OK and diving in general is no problem until I have to climb the ladder back into the boat or walk back to the car with all my gear. I can just about manage it in a wet suit but I know I am going to have to carry more weight if I dive with a wet suit. Can anybody tell me which type of dry suit I could carry the least extra weight with, from the research I have done it looks like a crushed neoprene drysuit is the way to go?

Please check out O'Three Drysuits. The company is in Dorset and makes, what I feel, is the best suit available. Their mantra is fit and I dive a Ri 1-100 with no additional weight. Obviously your mileage will vary but making two trips to the car and using an equipment line in the water, will pale in comparison to being warm and dry.

most UK boats have a diver lift :). Check out a seaskin membrane suit

Thanks for the responses and the advice on the dry suits I will do a bit more research and make a purchase over the winter. I am yet to dive off a boat with a lift (as you can see I am still a relative novice), just fishing boats with pretty high gunwales and RIBs. I know I used the examples of boat ladders and trips to the car to explain the issue but overall I am just looking to keep the total weight of my kit to a minimum. I am going to keep diving even if I have to hire a Sherpa to carry my gear on every dive.

Best idea yet, mate. Good luck and dive safe!

I wish we had these at Lake Travis. I sure bet an enterprising high school kid could make a few $$$ at Windy Point on the weekends.

OldGrouch,
One thing I'd mention in addition to what has been said is to make sure that you are weighted correctly.

Early on in training there is a tendency for people to be overweighted - your first couple of dives in a drysuit may result in you being overweighted.

Your first dives in a drysuit might make you feel a little nervous and this can change how you breathe and have an impact on your buoyancy - it's not uncommon for people to think they need more weight to compensate for this.

Use your first few dives to get used to the suit and when you feel relaxed (ie you are enjoying the dive rather than working on controlling the suit :) ) do a weight check.

If you have a new undersuit you'll find it less buoyant after a few dives - so with less buoyant underwear and a happier diver you might find you can get rid of a few kilos.

Back
Top Bottom