Leslie Street shoredive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

two.crows

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Inspired by ScubaSteve001's quest for shore dive opportunities in the GTA (*) I sampled the waters at the end of Leslie Street / Tommy Thompson Park today.

Access from Leslie Street, parking at the Tommy-Thompson park parking (1) or better on Unwin Avenue. From there it's about a 200m (300 steps) walk to the shoreline along a path just East of the Park road. There is an eroded ledge of about 1.2 m height just at the edge of the water. The shore is the usual rocky landfill of Toronto's waterfront with the occasional piece of rebar sticking out - careful.

Entry is over small rocks, reaching hip height water after about 10m. Visibility today was quite poor (measured 1.4 m with a Secchi disk). The scenery is rocks, gobis, gobis, landfill and more gobis ... if you've seen Humber Bay, you'll feel right at home here. However Humber is deeper: here I had to go about 200 m out until I hit 4m depth. I turned after half an hour and had used up all of a quarter of my Al-80 in the end.

All in all, not too bad if the visibility would be better. There's lots of curious stuff in the water and the landfill rocks give some structure to what would otherwise be a flat bed of silt. I had hoped for better viz, seing that the wind had been a weak WNW i.e. almost exactly off-shore and no waves. As this was my first dive out here I have no idea whether this would be typical or poor.

This site's plus is that it's a real shoredive. But I'll try getting out further South in the Park with a cart or bike next time.

The site is very close to Toronto's main sewage plant, as you can see from the satellite images. However since it's also very close to the Beaches, I expect water quality to be about the same. I took a shot of disinfectant anyway after getting home (cherry spirits from a small Black Forest distillery :D can't hurt to be sure).

(1) Careful! the Tommy Thompson Park gates are locked at 18:00 and the guys locking the gates have fun locking straggling cars in - almost happened to me. That would have been a fun taxi-ride back home in full scuba gear. :)

Some pictures below.
Cheers,

two.crows

Attachments

• Shoreline(ViewNorth).jpg
    Shoreline(ViewNorth).jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 92
  • TheLedge(ViewWest).jpg
    TheLedge(ViewWest).jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 73
  • Shoreline(ViewSouth).jpg
    Shoreline(ViewSouth).jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 78
  • Entry(ViewEast).jpg
    Entry(ViewEast).jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 96
  • Scenery.jpg
    Scenery.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 88
  • Gobi.jpg
    Gobi.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 91
  • GobisAndGears.jpg
    GobisAndGears.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 94
  • Artefact.jpg
    Artefact.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 94
... So I take it there was no issue with the Harbourmaster?

I dove on the assumption that this is outside the TPA boundaries. I may be wrong. There were no signs of any sort posted. But for a definitive answer I yet need to get a map.

... that ledge looks like it could be treacherous if slippery.

Definitely! But one could just lift the heavy stuff off the ledge standing at the bottom. There is enough space below to change into gear.

Is there a lot of boat traffic on that side of the spit during the summer?

I'd assume so - that Sunday evening there was nothing on the bay, I certainly heard no props in the water. But Ashbridge Bay marina is just across to the east so I'd expect a lot of traffic along the spit. Next time out there I'll probably bring a flag.

2.c

Good report, Two.Crows, and the shot of your fin is great for perspective. Farther out on the spit may be better for depth...

There is three shipwrecks accessible from the park if you are willing to hoof your gear out about 4km. I've done it several times with a bike and wagon. Details on how to do the dive are here:-

Ontario Diving

As someone who was born and raised in the beaches, I saw the Leslie Spit get created. I don't think I would EVER consider diving there. MAYBE diving at the marina inside the park might be interesting. See what the yachts have been dropping in the water.

Generally speaking, everything from Ashbridge's Bay out to the spit (I think you were outside the TPA area but the three ship wrecks are definitely inside it; you need clearance to dive those wrecks) is shallow for quite some distance. It wasn't always that way but back in the 70's there was a big storm that altered the shoreline.

You might want to check out the break wall by the lifeguard house (bottom of Lee Ave.). I lost a radio controlled submarine there. That was in 1974. Do you think it might still be there. :)

Another place to try shorediving is between Fernwood Park Rd. and Silver Birch Ave. A lot of people swim at the Balm Beach Canoe Club. I bet you'll find some interesting stuff there. :)

Daval -
Yes, I know. Very cool report on OD.

Darrell -
Thanks for the hints. Will try sometime.

You might want to check out the break wall by the lifeguard house (bottom of Lee Ave.). I lost a radio controlled submarine there. That was in 1974. Do you think it might still be there. :)

Hey, I've read a rumor about a sub somewhere in Lake Ontario - is that what it actually is :confused:

:wink:

Daval -
Yes, I know. Very cool report on OD.

Darrell -
Thanks for the hints. Will try sometime.

Hey, I've read a rumor about a sub somewhere in Lake Ontario - is that what it actually is :confused:

:wink:

I guess that blows the possibility that it might be a Los Angeles class sub then...:rofl3:

There is the Trumpy wreck inside one of the bays on the west side near the tip of the Leslie st spit. In the bay you will find a bouy that looks like a white space capsule which takes you down 30 feet to a sunk cabin cruiser and about 300 feet away from it are two other sunk sail boats.

enjoy

Roast Beef

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom