Les Pauls, strats vs everything else

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stampsalot

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ok I'm from the guitar world (but in reality those days are long gone) so any thing you guys can teach me will be a great help. In my research on diving stuff I've come to the conclusion that... .. (Wait for it)... .. .. .

i don't know ****. (Sorry)

so is scubapro like Gibson? I never owned a Les Paul personally but when I play my friends I realize why they have that reputation. A good solid piece of wood. Ok there are knockers but quality is quality. But it comes at a price. I play a fender my self, an old jaguar because **** (sorry) I love it. I love it's sexy curves I love the way it sounds I love the places it takes me when get together but that didn't come easy. We spent many hours together and I learned to treat her well. We had some tough times I didn't always treat her right I even played other guitars at gigs I at times coveted the Les Paul.

i for got what came here for... Um I think it was to say Doug can I get a discount on a Jetpack... Oh yeah... Is scubapro the Gibson of scuba? And if so who's the fender? Who's the boss pedals? Whoa came up with the Parker fly? Who on this board loves cold chisel ( I assume it's winger). No seriously someone send me a ticket to chuck lagoon.

Sorry - don't pretend to understand half of your guitar references to Les Paul/Fender/Gibson and so on, but I gather you are looking for kit recommendations.

I'm afraid when buying diving gear I would throw out all notions of this brand is better, hipper, sexier than that and so on. All scuba gear has to pass strict criteria on function and safety - form really comes a poor second or third to that. For diving purposes choose kit based on what you will use it for - cold water regulators for cold water diving, drysuits for cold, wetsuits for warm conditions and so on and pick what fits you best and feels comfortable and intuitive.

A premium brand may not work as well for you as a good solid workhorse.

Scubapro are a good brand and make some good gear, but don't get hooked in by a name, and don't rule out other options if they work for you.

You can be the smartest, coolest looking dude and the most uncomfortable diver in the water if you want.

I will be the one with comfortable functional gear - so really do not get hooked in by brands - decide the spec you need, look at options and buy the one that fits your needs and fits/feels best. If that happens to be Hollis or Scubapro or so on don't worry. - have fun and dive safe - Phil.

This analogy don't really work as the regulator needs servicing more often- unless you have a roadie to change the strings on your guitar....

Scubapro is probably the most popular in the US- but if in Oz- just buy whatever brand you see most represented there and you shouldn't run in to problems with servicing. All regs work- they're not that complicated but certain manufacturers like to re-invent the mousetrap every few years.... and usually fail.

There are differences in first stages eg. diaphram vs. piston but I doubt you will ever notice a difference in performance unless you start diving in some extreme places like under ice or in sewerage systems. I have an Aqualung Titan and it does what I want it to do from the temperate waters of NZ to the tropics.

Yeah, I admit it was a very weird way to say whatever it was I trying to say. But they are pretty solid answers thanks guys.

Summers coming up soon and I'd like to invest in some gear and I'd like to take advantage of Christmas sales. There are some what seems like good bargains out there.

I'd wait until after Xmas. You should be able to pick up some good deals with unwanted presents on ebay and the like.

Phil, Supergaijn, Mala. Thanks. It took me a while but I think your correct. I'm not a patient man. I want it all, I want it now. (AND I want it cheap).

more research, more diving. Is probably the only way forward. Well now I got my next few years of entertainment sorted, I'm gunna have a beer. If I get to dive with you ever remind me I owe you one.

Couple years ago I was on a liveaboard trip. There was a guy there who was deriding all of my equipment, because none of it was ScubaPro. He told me he would only trust his life to ScubaPro equipment. Of course he would ... he was a ScubaPro dealer.

Pretty much all scuba equipment is rugged and reliable. What matters most is that (a) it fits you properly, (b) it's appropriate to the type of diving you're going to mostly be doing, and (c) you can afford it.

Most dive gear will last you a loooong time if you take proper care of it. Chances are that any equipment changes you make over time will be more dictated by your changing taste and goals as your skills progress than it will by the performance of the gear ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I didn't think that I would ever have a reason to post this photo on Scuababord, but what do you know, here is the perfect thread.

FWIW, I don't know much about Scubapro, but I will say that Santi ROCKS!

MR_Santi_Guitar.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom